Little victories lead to bigger ones

Ok2BaLoser
on 7/27/15 8:33 am
VSG on 06/19/15

First of all, good morning.  I don't post here often, but I am always on here reading and learning.  I learned a valuable lesson this morning.  I am 5 weeks post op.  I had my famous 3 week stall just like most everyone else on here.  I am charting my weight loss at home on a cool dry erase board next to my scale.  I was down 19 lbs at my 3 week stall.  I was disappointed the first few days.  Then I snapped out of it.  I had to realize that there was no way that I was taking in the amount of calories I did prior to surgery.  I had to also realize that I am a female who still has a cycle which can lead to water retention.  I beat myself up  at my 2 week post op visit for only being down 15 lbs since surgery.  I stepped on the scale this morning and I am 5 lbs away from a 40lb total weight loss.  This is 35 lbs in under 5 weeks.  How can I beat myself up about that?  I have to realize that I am doing just fine.  I eat according to plan.  My sleeve is amazing at not letting me eat very much even though my eyes and head want to eat it all.  It took getting of the scale for a week and a half to realize that I am doing JUST FINE.

I am now trying to pay attention to the things that DO NOT involve the scale.  For instance, my massive panties have become droopy drawers.  Thank goodness I am divorced and its only me around the house LOL!  My pants have started sliding down (on their own)  My 4x, YES 4x MENS shirts are now entirely too big.  My energy levels have improved 10 fold. 

Even though I can't "see" the differences in my eyes, I feel them every day.  DO NOT let the scale determine your level of loss.  The scale doesn't break down muscle mass, fat, and water (well at least mine doesn't) SO pay attention to the little victories.  Enjoy them.  Be proud of yourself for taking such a big leap.  Remember WHY you did this.  Remember that it didn't all get put on over night and its not coming off overnight.  Celebrate the little things by sharing them with the people here.  Don't be afraid to voice your victories.  Others will celebrate with you that are here and have been in your shoes as well as those hoping to be in your shoes.  Remember that it is a blessing that you were able to get the surgery and it very well probably added several years to your life. 

ipray
on 7/27/15 12:23 pm
VSG on 11/06/14

Good for you for hanging in there! The 3 week stall is so frustrating! It really plays with your mind and you start to doubt yourself. Once you start losing again you realize that if you just stick to your plan it will come off. Keep up the good work!

Sandra F.
on 7/28/15 5:49 am

Very inspirational post!  Thanks!

Tracy D.
on 7/28/15 10:44 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

So glad you're being sensible about this whole process :-)  And congrats on your early success - keep up the great work! 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Ok2BaLoser
on 7/28/15 2:53 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

Thank you, Tracy!  I promised myself when this whole process started that I would do my best not to get caught up in the numbers game.  I know that the actual loss is important, but even more important is the benefits of controlling what goes into this sleeve.  What a gift I have been afforded.  I hope I never lose sight of that.

PS - I follow a lot of your posts as well.  You have been very helpful during this entire process just lending your experience and wisdom.  Thank you for that.  How do you feel by the way?  I know you recently had surgery.

Tracy D.
on 7/28/15 3:06 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Tomorrow is 3 weeks post-op. I think I'm doing remarkably well. Thanks for asking :-)

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views