Question about nausea and advise please

Joanna B
on 8/2/15 2:35 pm - MI
VSG on 03/12/15

Hi There,

I had surgery March 12 along with a hernia fix and was doing great! I got strep throat and was really sick and have been struggling with food and water since. For the last few weeks, almost every time I eat I feel nausea. but I am hungry all the time!  I take a PPO and I always measure my food and never go over 4 oz. A lot of the times I can not even finish 4 oz. It usually doesn't matter what I eat either. For lunch I usually have a salad with chicken or cheese and pepperoni and supper is always a meet (roast, chicken, beef) and veggie.  I also feel like this when I guzzle water or drink to much water or even if I have a Popsicle. Sugar really makes me sick. I had like 2 bites of birthday cake and had to lay down I was so sick. I get the sugar thing because I never have sugar anymore but the food and water stuns me. 

I do have a appointment set up with my surgeon but he can not see me until 9/4. I spoke to the nurse because I also am not losing weight and she believes its because I am struggling getting my water, protein, sleep, and exercise in. (Sleep and exercise is because I am a new grandma and my grand-baby lives with us so I am up all night helping with him =)  This will change soon so I can start sleeping and because I sleep I will not be so tired!)

Any words of advise on the nauseous? Has anyone else experienced this and if so why did this happen to you and what did you do? How do you handle the trials in life and still stay on plan with everything?

Thanks everyone!!!

Swally1
on 8/2/15 3:58 pm
VSG on 06/10/15

Hello, You shared the ounces, but not the protein, carb, fat ratios. With what you've said about cheese and pepperoni, you may be ingesting too much fat. I once ate one small piece of fried fish and two bites of coleslaw, only to be really nauseous for 24 hours. People suggested that I walk around pretty quickly, just to get things moving; not sure if that would help. As far as finding integration with "regular" life, you need to schedule your priorities, versus prioritizing your schedule, paraphrasing Steven Covey. 

rocky513
on 8/2/15 4:36 pm - WI

You don't say whether or not you are getting the required minimum of 64 ounces of fluid.  Dehydration will cause WICKED nausea.  Many post-ops have trouble drinking plain water. Try adding a water enhancer, like MIO, or Crystal Light.  Varying the temperature of the fluids helps too.  I could not drin**** cold anything for about 6 months after surgery.  I drank a lot of herbal teas to get my fluids in.  If you eat or drink too fast you can get an upset stomach.  Ditto the fat content advice above.

Sugar alcohols can cause upset if you are sensitive to them.  

Your PPI might not be strong enough or it might not be the right prescription for you.  Many people have to switch brands or up the dosage.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

E_Saenz
on 8/2/15 5:34 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

Dehydration can cause nausea 

Elia Maria Saenz

Wanda1118
on 8/3/15 4:56 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I am almost 13 months post op and I still get nausea. Mine comes and goes...I can go a few weeks and not get sick and then all of a sudden I am back to throwing up everything! I carry a plastic bag in my car, just in case.. My daughter is the same way and she had her surgery 18 months ago. My surgeon told me about eating to fast etc but sometimes nothing seems to help.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/3/15 8:20 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You say you're eating salad for lunch. How much lettuce vs. how much protein? We need our protein FIRST, maybe a bite or two of veggie afterwards but salad certainly shouldn't be a main thing.

Lack of protein could certainly contribute to feeling like crap.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active