Please help - considering the Sleeve

sharonallen
on 8/16/15 4:13 pm - Grand Prairie

Hi, I haven't been on obesity help for a few years. 

I had the gastric bypass in London in 2009 and lost about 100 lbs, I started to put the weight back on about 2years later. I decided to have the gastric band and had it in for 3 years, I lost about 20 years in total, I was so sick with it as in vomiting a few times a day, sometimes even when a drank water. I went to my doctor and he told me that we had to remove the band as my esophagus had expanded so much and could erode at any moment. I got the band removed in June 2015. In 2 months I have put on 21 lbs!! But I have been exercising for an hour and half daily, I bought a Fitbit and do an average of 8-10 miles a day. I put myself in 5 challenges weekly to keep accountable but I'm still putting on weight. I am now feeling depressed and hopeless. I am seriously thinking about the gastric sleeve. 

My question is.. Has anyone had a similar experience to me. Can the sleeve be done if I had previously has a gastric bypass? 2nd question is does anyone recommend a bariatric doctor near Arlington Texas.

Dr Kim had previously done my band and it wasn't a great experience so I'm looking for another doctor.

Please help if you can. I am really trying my best.

Thanks, Sharon

E_Saenz
on 8/16/15 4:31 pm - Grand Rapids , MI
VSG on 08/12/15

I'm very sorry to hear you have been through so much I would like to give you advise but I am not sure exactly what to tell you except surgery isn't a cure it's a tool you have to use it to hi your advantage you have to make right choices of food to eat and how often and quantities no other person can do it for you I would see my surgon and have them give you a diet plan to help get you back on track.  I hope this helps.

Elia Maria Saenz

KathyA999
on 8/16/15 9:55 am, edited 8/16/15 9:56 am

I believe that, before a surgeon could do a sleeve for you, your RNY would need to be revised.  The sleeve requires the presence of the full stomach from esophagus to pylorus, for example, and most of your stomach is now a "remnant", lying dormant in your abdominal cavity.  It's a complex surgery, much more so than an original sleeve.  Having had a band around your pouch might add another wrinkle also, depending whether the band did any damage.  You should probably talk with a highly experienced bariatric surgeon and see what your options are.

Regarding all the exercise you've been doing, there's a saying I've read on these boards before - you can't outrun a bad diet.  Meaning get your food in line.  All the exercise or surgery in the world won't help you without that. It's probably all stuff you've heard before - cut out sugar, refined grains, processed foods.  Basically proteins, veg, some fruits, dairy (I eat full fat dairy, btw), nuts & seeds, lots of water.

Best of luck!  This monster of a disease, obesity, is a tricky beast but it can be tamed.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

sharonallen
on 8/16/15 5:29 pm - Grand Prairie

Hi Kathy, thank you for your response! I am accountable for what I put in my mouth and when I say that most days I stick to 1700 calories given by my dietician I am being honest. I have a food diary and I also log my food on my Fitbit daily and most days I don't get to 1700 calories. 

I also have hypothyroidism so am seeing a Endocrinologist which he's finding it hard to get my levels right, I also have hormone issues and am on Estrogen with a mix of testosterone as I had a hysterectomy and to top it off my metabolism is extremely slow. 

I have been battling my weight for 25 years and trust me when I say I am very serious about it. I left a great paying job and didn't work for a year so that I could lose this weight. At the moment I am having dinner and I'm having a salmon salad. I have one daughter and my biggest fear is not being here to see her get married and have my grand babies so believe me I am serious about what I eat and how I exercise. 

Thank you for the advice about the RYN revision.. I really need to speak to a Bariatric doctor so am looking for one in my area. 

Thank you again!

Sharon

Gwen M.
on 8/17/15 3:05 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

1700 calories a day definitely seems high for someone who is trying to lose weight.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

Donna L.
on 8/16/15 5:27 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Most of our weight loss comes directly from diet and not exercise.  Maybe if you posted food logs more experienced vets could help some.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

sharonallen
on 8/16/15 5:43 pm - Grand Prairie

Hiya, thank you for your response.  That is a good idea! I think I will post my food logs and maybe post photos.  

I think that might help me too as I have the same things daily so other suggestions would be good.

Sharon

murphyjo
on 8/16/15 5:52 pm

First, I wasn't aware that you could do a sleeve after a bypass? And 1700 calories seems high for weightloss...I will be following your thread here to see how you are doing:)

sharonallen
on 8/16/15 6:05 pm - Grand Prairie

Hi Murphyjo, I didn't know that you could do a sleeve after a bypass either, my GP told me you can, as for the 1700 calories this was given to me by my dietitian and also the food plan even though I find the plan limited. Thank you for following my thread,  I need all the support and also would like to support others too.

Sharon

msecanales
on 8/16/15 6:21 pm

I went ti Dr Kim for an initial consult. I didn't really feel he was very personable with me.. Don't know how to explain that.. but, I decided to look around more. I have since met with Dr Frenzel in Arlington. I had my initial consult and really felt comfortable with him. So, I believe I will have him to my sleeve. It also helps that his is financially more appealing than Dr Kim. He also does plastic surgery for his patients that need skin removed or any cosmetic needs. Here is his office # 817.342.0232. Wish you luck!

Most Active