What Should I Ask?

suzyq584
on 8/18/15 2:09 pm

Today I head over to the hospital where I will be having my surgery for a pre-op class.  They suggested attending it prior to having the consult with my surgeon.  I'm pretty excited about getting this ball rolling!  Hope I learn some good stuff but I'm really not expecting to since I've already learned so much from you all! 

Here are some questions I want to ask specifically.  Do you have any other suggestions?

1. Does the hospital offer all private rooms?  Is a tour of the hospital/bariatric floor available?
  2. Can you (or the surgeon) refer me to a therapist with a background in working with bariatric patients?
  3. Why will this work for me?  Addressing doubts.  (As you may know, I'm struggling with this right now).
  4. I stopped taking my antidepressants a week ago to see if that was the cause of my increased heart rate.  Should I resume taking them?

Thanks!!
Suzy

alouisa63
on 8/18/15 3:16 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Did you stop your AD's cold turkey??  Did the Dr advise this?

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 8/18/15 3:41 pm
RNY on 08/05/19
On August 18, 2015 at 2:09 PM Pacific Time, suzyq584 wrote:

Today I head over to the hospital where I will be having my surgery for a pre-op class.  They suggested attending it prior to having the consult with my surgeon.  I'm pretty excited about getting this ball rolling!  Hope I learn some good stuff but I'm really not expecting to since I've already learned so much from you all! 

Here are some questions I want to ask specifically.  Do you have any other suggestions?

1. Does the hospital offer all private rooms?  Is a tour of the hospital/bariatric floor available?
  2. Can you (or the surgeon) refer me to a therapist with a background in working with bariatric patients?
  3. Why will this work for me?  Addressing doubts.  (As you may know, I'm struggling with this right now).
  4. I stopped taking my antidepressants a week ago to see if that was the cause of my increased heart rate.  Should I resume taking them?

Thanks!!
Suzy

Going cold-turkey on antidepressants is No Bueno and can make you quite sick, both physically and mentally. You need to speak with the doctor who prescribed them ASAP.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

suzyq584
on 8/18/15 3:57 pm

Yes I stopped cold turkey.  I was on a low dose Wellbutrin dose and haven't really seen/felt a difference on or off the meds.  Originally, the dr put me on them because it is known to sometimes help with weightloss.  You really think it's that serious that it off them?  (I value your opinions! )

Thanks,

Suzy

(deactivated member)
on 8/19/15 6:01 am

I really suggest you talk to your doctor about the AD. I've stopped cold turkey before when I was taking lexapro and I had some terrible physical symptoms. As far as mental ones go, for a while I feel fine like maybe a couple of weeks but then my depression seemed to just comeback way worse than before. 

Mary B.
on 8/18/15 6:03 pm - AZ
VSG on 04/23/15

Yes.   There can be serious side effects of stopping cold turkey.

Age 63, HW 289, SW 273

alouisa63
on 8/18/15 6:23 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

I'm on Wellbutrin and have stopped it a few times.  Each time the Dr had me step down the dosage until I wasn't taking any. If it were me, I would double check 

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

suzyq584
on 8/18/15 8:38 pm

I really appreciate all of the concern.  Until I can again speak to the Dr., I re-started my Wellbutrin regimen. 

On another note, the class I attended tonight was a little informative but just as I figured, I had already learned most of it from you all!

Thanks again!

(deactivated member)
on 8/18/15 11:30 pm

There are generally 3 dosage levels: 150 mg, 300 mg, and 450 mg. (the 450 mg requires a prescribing psychiatrist in my HMO system - a PCP is not allowed to prescribe that dosage.) If you are on the 150 mg dose it is my understanding that going to every other day for a week is recommended before stopping. (That is how my dad was taken off wellbutrin, anyway.) I'm not a doctor or in the medical field, so I'd still check with the prescribing physician.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 61 views