General Feeling of Malaise?

SassyAmy
on 8/27/15 6:27 am
VSG on 08/05/15

Morning everyone! I'm 22 days out (yay!) and have been experiencing a general feeling of malaise for the past few days. I'm not running a fever, coughing, sneezing, etc, but I'm very, very tired and have been having occasional bouts of nausea (although I think those are related to possibly eating too fast). I just want to confirm with y'all that this is normal--I knew to expect exhaustion, but I didn't think that it would be THIS bad!

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

Sleeved on August 5th, 2015 |  HW: 292 | SW: 275 | GW: 135

rocky513
on 8/27/15 6:39 am - WI

Are you drinking art least 64 ounces of fluid, daily?  Nausea and fatigue are symptoms of dehydration.  Remember 64 ounces is the minimum amount you should be drinking.

You are only three weeks out from major surgery.  Your body is adjusting to eating a lot less food.  It's going to take some time to heal.  It took me months before I felt "normal".  It will get better, just give it some time.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

SassyAmy
on 8/27/15 6:49 am
VSG on 08/05/15

I'm definitely not getting 64oz. It's really hard to balance drinking and getting in my 4-5 meals. I'm going to pick up my fluid intake to see if that helps.

Yeah, I figured that it was likely related to having just had major surgery, but I wanted to make sure that something worse wasn't going on. Dehydration I can handle on my own, something more major would warrant a trip to the hospital.

~*All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them. - Walt Disney*~

wyo_sarah
on 8/27/15 8:04 am

I was very weak and tired and nauseated for about 6 weeks and then it miraculously went away.  I was so exhausted I had to take a stool into the shower with me because I couldn't stand that long.

SassyAmy
on 8/27/15 8:05 am
VSG on 08/05/15

Luckily I'm not THAT exhausted--I thought it was a combination of healing and being back at work, but dehydration totally makes sense too.

psychoticparrot
on 8/27/15 8:58 am

SassyAmy wrote: "Dehydration I can handle on my own, something more major would warrant a trip to the hospital."

Dehydration IS major, and your symptoms -- nausea and fatigue -- are classic indicators. Up your water intake immediately. If you have trouble drinking enough, ask your surgeon for Zofran, an anti-nausea med. Dehydration can land you in the ER so fast your head will spin. It's dangerous because it can result in kidney stones and/or kidney infections. I know whereof I speak -- two trips to the ER, one with a kidney infection so bad, the doctors weren't certain I'd survive. Check some of the recent posts -- many other sleevers in the recovery phase had to hospitalized because of dehydration.

Please, please, drink more liquids. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

SassyAmy
on 8/27/15 9:05 am
VSG on 08/05/15

What I meant was, "I can handle upping my fluid intake and monitoring it so I make sure I get enough water." If things to get worse, I will definitely go to the hospital immediately.

Most Active