How to cook fish without having your home smell like a sweaty fisherman's nut sack?

samanthalc
on 9/19/15 6:43 pm
with

Any advice?  I need to add fish to my diet, but I also want to live in a stink-free home.

Discuss amongst yourselves.

psychoticparrot
on 9/19/15 1:27 pm, edited 9/19/15 1:33 pm

My Guaranteed-No-Stinky-Fish Marinade:

Prepare enough marinade to cover the fish completely. Proportions are flexible, but for one pound of fish fillets (white, mild-flavored fish fillets like cod work best), mix together 1/3 cup soy sauce (buy light-colored Japanese soy sauce -- available online -- if you want to preserve the fish's light color), 1 cup water, 1/3 cup fresh squeezed lemon juice, one garlic clove (pressed or minced), and 1 tablespoon honey (honey is optional). Mix well. Place fresh or frozen fish in a Ziploc; pour in marinade, making sure both sides of each fillet are in contact with the marinade. Let marinate in the refrigerator for several hours (3-5 hours). Pat fillets dry and prepare as desired.

This method works especially well for frozen fish, which in my experience tends to be a bit "fishier" than fresh fish. A truly fresh fish should have no odor at all, but we all can't live on the beach. The marinade won't rescue a truly stinky fish (which you wouldn't want to eat anyway), but does the job for slightly-less-than-fresh fish.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 9/20/15 5:14 am

I have never marinated fish for hours before. Then again, I am not much of a cook. I want to try this! Extra props if it eliminates the smell. Personally, my house smelling of a sweaty fisherman's nutsack is about on par with the foul and funky wet dog smell we seem to always have going on. ;)

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

psychoticparrot
on 9/20/15 8:07 am

I'm not a world-class chef either. The easier and quicker the food prep is, the better I like it. This marinade recipe was given to me by a Chinese friend, who uses it to get her husband to eat fish. He, too, detests the stinky fish smell, and this marinade, which I've used on my own seafood-averse husband, allows them both to enjoy fish regularly. 

The usual fish marinades do usually recommend about an hour or less of marination. You can try that and see how it works. My friend said several hours, so that's what I do. 

psychoticparrot

Paula1965
on 9/19/15 9:46 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

Okay, I just about died laughing reading your title! Seriously though - we loved grilled fish and the stink stays outside!

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

diane S.
on 9/19/15 10:29 pm

I am lucky to live near fresh seafood. even so, it can stink. I have a jenair range that sucks the stink out or a good vent would work too.

some fish is stinkier than others. ahi, albacore and salmon are not so bad. perch, catfish p.u.   

I marinate albacore in buttermilk and it seems to reduce the stink. using lemon helps.  otherwise, just use your range hood and open the windows.   it also helps to get the fish remains - skin, bones, pan clean up - down the disposal or out to the trash fast.  i dump a little powdered dishwasher cleaner down the disposal to get rid of fish smell.  or barbecue outside.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

happyteacher
on 9/20/15 5:15 am

Yes to the fast cleanup being important. Sometimes the hubby leaves the pan and crap out for cleanup later- ugggghhhhh that is horrible!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

jamrodriguez
on 9/20/15 12:06 am

I have no advice because I don't like fish. But I want you to know that just spit out my jello because I laughed so hard and so suddenly.

Grim_Traveller
on 9/20/15 5:19 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Are you saying you don't like the smell of sweaty fishermen's nutsacks? Have you tried a variety of fishermen? East coast fersus west, cold water v tropical, fresh water v salt?

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

psychoticparrot
on 9/20/15 1:11 am, edited 9/20/15 1:12 am

I think a randomized, double-blind research study is in order here. But I won't be volunteering. 

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 49 views