Told my Parents...

suzyq584
on 9/21/15 12:23 pm

So yesterday I finally told my Mom and Stepdad about my upcoming surgery.  I had held off this long because my Mom is a major worry wart and I didn't want her worrying until I had the date and had all the questions answered.  That was yesterday. 

They both reacted just as my little sister and I thought they would.  My Mom is super supportive and excited for me.  My Stepdad is instantly worried about how "family day" is going to change because up till now it was always based around food.  Food = Love to him.  I assured him that we will still have fun on family day, it will just be different.

My Mom did surprise me at one point though.  She looked at me with sadness in her eyes and said, "You won't be the same person."  I said yes, I would be and she explained "but you won't be Suzy.  Sitting here looking at you, you won't be the same person."  I think she is going to be the only one mourning the fat Suzy!  She is so sweet but she is right, she (nor I or anyone else) has ever seen a non-fat Suzy.  Wonder what she will look like.... 

I'm so excited!  I start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet on Thursday and instead of being scared about it, I'm actually getting excited! 

As always, thanks for all the support!!

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

KansasPrincess
on 9/21/15 1:06 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

i feel about myself like your mom feels about you... ive never seen a not fat ashlee. i dont know what she looks like or what she will be able to do. but i do know that when she she appears it will be an amazing day! adn she wants to go roller skating... im also kind of mourining fat ashlee leaving. she has been my protector and shield from a lot of things my comfort zone.

suzyq584
on 9/21/15 4:13 pm

I don't know what skinny Suzy looks like either Ashlee.  Isn't it going to be fun to find out?!?! 

I can understand mourning the old you...we will definitely be pushed out of the comfort zone we have built for ourselves.  I was just talking to a friend the other day about how I'm going to have to learn how to deal with attention from the opposite sex! 

Age: 42 | Height: 5'9 | Surgery Date: 10/08/15 | Starting Weight: 279.2 | Surgery Weight: 266 | Goal Weight:165 | Current Weight: 224.8 | WL so far: 54.4 lbs

Tracy D.
on 9/21/15 1:23 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Sounds like the big announcement went over pretty well - yeah!  After 18 months of being the same size I think my family has finally adjusted to the new "me".  Now when they see fat pictures of me they're like "whoa!".  

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

suzyq584
on 9/21/15 4:15 pm

The big announcement did go very well.  I wasn't really expecting anything different but was still a little nervous!

I can't wait for that "whoa" moment!!!  

akanikkie
on 9/21/15 2:51 pm
VSG on 04/27/15

Congrats on telling your family!  Sometimes that is a very hard step.  Sounds like it went reasonably well.  I had to prepare myself for the conversation with my one sister who thinks we all should be like her lol.  But amazingly enough, she has become one of my biggest supporters after having a friend who has had the surgery talk frankly with her.  I also have had friends comment that I won't be the same - that was a BIG surprise to me because I never thought anyone who worry about me changing my personality for the negative.  When I quit smoking years and years ago, I did have one friend tell me I wasn't as much fun being a non-smoker, so I guess I shouldn't have been so surprised. 

We learn SO many things about ourselves and others in our lives through this journey!  

Wishing you the very best and please keep us posted!

HW: 448; SW: 376; CW: 321

suzyq584
on 9/21/15 4:16 pm

Thank you!  Although I knew it would go well, I was still nervous about saying it.  I guess it makes it more real? 

I will certainly keep you posted throughout my journey! 

hollykim
on 9/21/15 2:57 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On September 21, 2015 at 12:23 PM Pacific Time, suzyq584 wrote:

So yesterday I finally told my Mom and Stepdad about my upcoming surgery.  I had held off this long because my Mom is a major worry wart and I didn't want her worrying until I had the date and had all the questions answered.  That was yesterday. 

They both reacted just as my little sister and I thought they would.  My Mom is super supportive and excited for me.  My Stepdad is instantly worried about how "family day" is going to change because up till now it was always based around food.  Food = Love to him.  I assured him that we will still have fun on family day, it will just be different.

My Mom did surprise me at one point though.  She looked at me with sadness in her eyes and said, "You won't be the same person."  I said yes, I would be and she explained "but you won't be Suzy.  Sitting here looking at you, you won't be the same person."  I think she is going to be the only one mourning the fat Suzy!  She is so sweet but she is right, she (nor I or anyone else) has ever seen a non-fat Suzy.  Wonder what she will look like.... 

I'm so excited!  I start my 2 week pre-op liquid diet on Thursday and instead of being scared about it, I'm actually getting excited! 

As always, thanks for all the support!!

could there be some underlying reason your mom wants to keep you the " fat suzy"?

murphyjo
on 9/21/15 3:09 pm

I dont think that is what her mom intended...

suzyq584
on 9/21/15 4:11 pm

No, not at all.  I think what she was getting at is that she LOVES me as I am and will miss "me."  She thinks I'm beautiful inside and out and her comment was just meant as she will miss me as I am now.  You know...the whole "Mothers only see the beauty" thing. 

Most Active