how do you feel?

judeloren
on 9/28/15 10:16 am

I am in the middle of getting insurance approval for a sleeve. I had a lap band and it ended up being torture... so now im a bit worried. On a day to day basis how do you feel? is it different from before the sleeve? I know when you loose you feel better but i am looking for in terms of the sleeve its self. do you feel sick more than before surgery or uncomfortable? are you aware of your stomach all of the time?

Neesie57
on 9/28/15 10:34 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I'm 8 weeks out and I'm not aware of my stomach anymore unless I'm eating.  It gurgles a little more, but I haven't been sick since my surgery.  Some people do have some nausea for a while after surgery, but I was one of the lucky ones, who hasn't been sick or vomited at all.  Right now, I feel completely normal.  In fact, better than normal because of my weight loss. If I get too full, or eat too fast, I get the hiccups, or I burp, and I get full very quickly, but that is the only thing that I find to be really different.

I do think I'm an exception in some ways, because I feel so good so soon after the procedure. Good luck with whatever you do.  It will be so worth it in the end.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Sparkly609
on 9/28/15 10:52 am

I am officially 2 weeks out from surgery today and aside from my incisions still healing a bit I don't have any issues with feeling different. I went back to work on Thursday and have been feeling pretty great. I forget that my stomach is even different until it comes to choosing what to eat/drink since I am still on the full liquids stage. My stomach definitely gurgles a bit more but sitting here now I feel no different than I did before surgery except I am not hungry enough to go eat a whole pizza by myself. 

ElizaM
on 9/28/15 11:24 am
VSG on 07/24/14

I feel great!

Sometimes eating feels a little weird. It feels different, but rarely bad. I don't feel my stomach unless I eat and I feel full. Fullness feels different than it ever did pre-op. 

There are not words for how amazing I feel having lost the weight. I am physically so much more comfortable than I ever was before. 

I have not been entirely free of side-effects. I had really bad reflux but it seems to have finally abated, and my tailbone hurts like crazy. But they are a very small price to pay for how great I feel.

32F 5'8" High weight: 432 | Consult weight: 396 | Surgery weight: 335 | Current weight: 170

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 9/28/15 11:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

When I'm not eating, I forget that anything has been done to my stomach. If I'm just drinking, there's no difference.

I am definitely aware of my sleeve when I'm eating, though, because it gets very uncomfortable very quickly if you eat too much, or if you try to drink while you eat. As long as I take tiny bites, put my fork down after each, and make sure to measure out my food in advance, I'm just fine-- I just hit that "OK, I'm stuffed" feeling much sooner than I used to.

Oddly enough, I haven't been sick NEARLY as often as I was pre-op! When I was heavier, I would have a lot of colds and whatnot, but I haven't had anything like that since my surgery. And aside from pregnancy-related morning sickness, I haven't thrown up ONCE since surgery!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

judeloren
on 9/28/15 12:20 pm

Thank you all! I am so relieved to hear that i can go back to being 100% excited to get my sleeve!

psychoticparrot
on 9/28/15 1:34 pm

I had a band-to-sleeve revision in February. Yeah, the lap-band stinks--never lost any permanent weight with it.

I'm not aware of my stomach at all unless I try to stuff too much into it. In addition to measuring your food, it's a good idea to look at your plate and ask yourself, "Would this amount fit into a banana?" If you eat too much, even if the food is healthy, your sleeve will immediately make you feel uncomfortable and nauseated. If you've really overdone it, you will hurl. Most of those mistakes happen in the first 2-3 months post-op, as you and your sleeve are getting to know each other. Once you've healed and are eating correct (think 'very small') portions, you should hardly notice it at all. 

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

judeloren
on 9/28/15 3:12 pm

i remember those days with the band. So good to know! thank you.

Manndragorra
on 9/28/15 2:52 pm

I just hit the two and a half week mark and i feel amazing. BETTER than I ever felt pre-op.  I haven't had hunger pains yet and usually have to remind myself to eat. Last night at dinner was the first time I was aware of how little I need to eat because I overdid it a bit.  The feeling passed after 45 minutes and now I know to not do that again. Sitting here at work is making my legs stiff be a use while I was home I was up and moving frequently.  Other than those minor complaints everything is great

cappy11448
on 9/28/15 3:48 pm

From all I hear on this board, the lap band is much more difficult to live with than the sleeve.  I am 2 1/2 years post op, at my goal weight and maintaining with some effort.  I never get sick or uncomfortable unless I overeat.  But this happens very rarely, because I know my limits.

I've only vomited 3 times in those 2.5 years.  Twice due to overeating and once due to intolerance for protein shakes. I can only eat about 6 ounces per meal, but as long as I am careful about quantity, I feel great.

I lost 220 pounds, and went from a BMI of 60 to a BMI of 24.  From 385 pounds to 160 pounds.  I love my sleeve.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active