Pleased, but could of done better....

lil1inside
on 10/6/15 3:35 pm
VSG on 07/10/13

I write this to help any other slow/lazy loser out there. First, I must say that I am very happy with my weight loss. Even though it could of been ALOT better, the sleeve is still a VERY useful tool for me.

I had the surgery when I was 50. I was afraid of pushing the exercise so I didn't, I didn't want to be one of those people who pushed themselves and came up with a lame ankle or knee and I was afraid of having gall bladder surgery. I didn't write down what I ate (tracking eating patterns), that would of helped too. I started with the alcohol about 6 months after surgery, I could of done better if I hadn't done that. I eat dessert occasionally, this is where I really need to watch--eating/drinking sugar/alcohol that just doesn't fill the sleeve.

I do wish at times, I hadn't done these things and I could be a size 10 now, not a 16. Even though I was at a tight size 30 before surgery. BUT I'm still amazed when I sit down for pizza and eat 2 pieces (instead of the whole pizza) like I could of done before surgery. Or when a few pieces of steak fill me up. So, I guess my words of wisdom for those just starting out and want to do better. Just do better, don't do what I did/do. Forget the alcohol, forget the sugar and you'll far exceed what I've done, you will!

Started at (266 lbs)          Pre-op (249) 7/10/13             Present (173) 03/19/14
No star is lost once we have seen, We always may be what we might have been.
Adelaide Proctor

roxytrim
on 10/6/15 4:26 pm - Cobourg, Canada
VSG on 04/12/13

Good honest post. We mostly read about those who have blow away success with huge weight losses - not really hearing about other stories where 'by the book living' is not done. I suspect your story is more common than you'd get the impression of on OH. Thanks for sharing your insites about your experience.

KathyA999
on 10/6/15 5:36 pm

Congratulations on your success! But you write from the perspective of someone whose weight loss phase is behind you. Not true! Want to lose more weight? You've outlined exactly what you need to do. Your tool will still work for you.

I had my surgery at 60, and also didn't do much in the way of exercise, then or now. Two years ago I got a dog, and I walk her twice a day, 40-45 minutes each time. That's it, my only exercise. But I DID track my food, focus on protein, and avoid alcohol, sugar, and other carbs (still do). So can you! :-)

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 10/7/15 11:49 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I quite agree with this. You don't stop losing weight until you start making poor choices. It happened to me. My weight stalled for several months, losing/gaining the same few pounds over and over. And it was absolutely related to what I chose to put into my body.

For the last two weeks, I have gone back to basics and see the pounds coming off again. Maybe my body needed a break to readjust. I don't know. But I do know that when I eat dense protein, track what I eat, drink plenty of fluids and get in some exercise, my sleeve works. Plus I've starting seeing a therapist who specializes in eating disorders to help me examine my behaviors and find other outlets instead of binge/compulsive eating.

Sleeves don't fail you, unless there's some underlying medical issue. It's about how willing you are to commit to making better choices.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 40 views