Talk to me about finding a surgeon (Nashville area)

breezy25
on 10/13/15 6:41 pm

I don't really know the best place to begin. I assume I'll want to have the surgery at Vanderbilt because it's the biggest and best known hospital around. I am getting just slightly ahead of myself since our new insurance doesn't kick in until Dec but I would like to start researching so I can make an spot as soon as I'm able to.

A lot of people say "research your surgeon really well" but since I've never done anything like this I'm unsure of where to start and what I'm exactly looking for in my research. Obviously someone who is experienced with this type of surgery....but what else? What are some red flags of surgeons I need to avoid?

Thanks in advance!

C J
on 10/14/15 6:00 am - , TN

Centennial is a "center of excellence". I know they have excellent surgeons, and incredible outcomes.

Good Luck

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

(deactivated member)
on 10/14/15 6:08 am

Research the surgeons at the Center of Excellence. See who offers free seminars and then go and attend a few. Ask questions. How many surgeries like this have they done? What are their stats for the results their patients have? Etc. If they will let you go to any of their support groups make a visit or two and see what their patients say about the experience. Good luck

Wanda1118
on 10/14/15 7:33 am
VSG on 07/09/14

I believe St Thomas does them also..The surgery is only as good as you make it...If you don't follow the diet, don't expect to lose the weight..I am sure there are good surgeons at all these hospitals..I agree...go to the free seminars and ask questions and see which surgeon you feel comfortable with..

Good Luck in your search..keep us posted

breezy25
on 10/14/15 7:44 am, edited 10/14/15 2:21 am

I don't expect the surgeon to have anything to do with my weight loss. I just want a good surgery without complications and someone who offers good follow up care.

know it's a lot of work and not easy. I'm prepared to do everything it takes, but for me, the surgeon must be top notch so that I get the best medical care possible for this journey.

frisco
on 10/15/15 1:29 pm

Check out Brandon Williams at Vanderbilt, I understand that he is very good and the program is quite good.

Surgeon and program can have a lot to do with WL and maintenance.

Your right it is ultimately up to you to commit and comply...... But a good surgeon and program will give you something to commit and comply to....

I credit my surgeon and program for the package they made available to me. In 6 years there hasn't ever been one question that I needed to ask here.

frisco

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active