Wasted Nutrition Class!!!!

Neesie57
on 10/12/15 8:01 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

Now that it's been two months since surgery, I was so looking forward to starting the next phase of my diet. The soft food phase was getting monotonous, and I was ready to add so much more. My surgeon's office no longer has a nutritionist. She left the office a few weeks ago, and I have no idea why she isn't there anymore. Since she isn't there anymore, one of the surgeon's gave the class, and he blew it big time.

We had 2 patients who are 2 weeks post-op, 2 who are 3 weeks post-op and 2 of us, me included, who are 2 months post-op. He didn't give me any advice as to what to eat. He just said to try new things, and see if they agree with me. If not, don't eat them. To the 2 and 3 week post-op people he told them to start with cottage cheese, scrambled eggs or yogurt. If they are fine with those then add different foods a couple of weeks later. He even gave them the wrong information about how much protein they should be consuming. And since he didn't give them any handouts, they truly have nothing to help them figure it out.

He didn't give them any advice about how much to eat, how often and how slowly. No advice on drinking water with meals, or how long to wait after. He asked if we were taking vitamins, but no advice on what or how much to take. The class was truly a waste of my time, and I'm sure that the new people have no idea on what to do now that they are past the liquid stage.

My husband went with me, he was just as disgusted as I was. I wanted to push the doctor aside and teach the class myself. I would have done a much better job. I talked to several of the other people afterward and told them to get on Obesity Help to get some good advice. My DH and I both told them how much to eat, to eat slowly, and to use baby spoons. One woman was so grateful when I told her she could have cheese, I thought she was going to hug me.

His office did such a disservice to his patients. How could they do this to people? On the way home my husband told me I should take nutrition classes and teach bariatric patients how to eat after surgery. I'm looking into it.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

Billy D.
on 10/12/15 8:42 pm

My problem was the Nutritionist would tell me one thing, the nurse another and my regular Doctor another. So I left a little confused on the 1st stage of the diet. I was not aware that I could have a protein shake that wasn't clear so I loaded up on this expenive clear protein drink that doesn't taste that great and was shocked when right after surgery in hospital they gave me a Carnation Instant Breakfast. I said isn't it supposed to be clear...and I explained what I was told. Even my prints out said it had to be "Clear liquids"and who would think that Carnation Instant breakfast mixed with Skim Milk is clear? You should teach a class if that is what you like. Sometimes the smartest people can't teach others well.

Neesie57
on 10/12/15 10:34 pm
VSG on 08/04/15

In my research I found that I have to have a nutrition degree in order to teach. I only have my AA degree, so I should look into going back to school to get my BS in nutrition. At 58, I'll be late getting there, but it could be something I do for many years ahead.

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

ocean4dlm
on 10/13/15 4:45 am - Liverpool, NY
VSG on 05/27/15

Go for it !!!

Age: 64; 5' 5"; High weight: 345; Start weight: 271 (01/05/15); Surgery weight: 218 (05/27/15); Pre-Op (-53); M 1 (-18); M 2 (-1.5); M 3 (-13.5 ); M 4 (-13); M 5 (- 8); M 6 (-12) M 7 (-5, Xmas); M 8 (- 9) Under surgeon's goal and REACHED HEALTHY BMI 12/07/15!! (Six months and one week.) AT GOAL month 8. Maintaining at goal range (139- 144) ~ four (4) years !!

alouisa63
on 10/13/15 6:02 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

It's never too late! I'm 52 and going for my AA :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

White Dove
on 10/13/15 5:07 am - Warren, OH

I did then and still have the same nutritionist. Her advice was always in line with what I would find online. I sometimes work with her to find great ideas and recipes for new people.

I am sorry that your surgeon's practice is so disorganized. Getting your education and then working as a nutritionist for a bariatric surgical practice would be a great career choice.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Tracy D.
on 10/13/15 9:18 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Go**** sounds like you showed up at my bariatric center's support group. Totally frustrating, itsn't it Thank goodness for this site or I would have never figured out how to eat post-op.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Grim_Traveller
on 10/13/15 10:20 am
RNY on 08/21/12

And when you tell someone on OH that their doctor or nutritionist gave them really, really bad advice, they get snarky and ask if we think we know more than a medical professional. Yes, most of the time we certainly do.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Neesie57
on 10/13/15 10:57 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I this case I really did know more than the doctor. He is not a nutritionist. Our NUT was so good and so thorough with all of our information and hand outs. She made it so clear exactly what we needed to eat, when to eat it and how much, that there was no question when we left the class. He wasted our time.

Valerie G.
on 10/14/15 9:45 am - Northwest Mountains, GA

As a DSer, I know a hell of a lot more about what I need to keep healthy than most medical professionals. Nutritionists are worthless, but not far off from the surgeons, who may or may not have had a semester of nutritional training. I didn't go to my surgeon to learn about nutrition though. I went to her because of her skill with a scalpel. She did her job well, but the designer bariatric meds she was selling got many of my levels into the toilet.

Valerie
DS 2005

There is room on this earth for all of God's creatures..
next to the mashed potatoes

Most Active