Nov 18

Brookie101
on 10/16/15 9:47 am

Hello All,

My surgery is set for Nov 18. What kind of advice can you give me? Some of the things I have gotten from youtube videos. Yes, I researched the heck out of it stated. Gas X Strips, Smar****er, Chapstick, and a pillow. Any other advice? How can I start to prepare for this life changing event. Thank you all so much! I also need to lose ten lbs prior to surgery. Any suggestions for that too?

Tracy D.
on 10/16/15 10:04 am, edited 10/16/15 3:05 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

Here are my tips for getting ready:

1. Get your house ready: clean out the pantry and fridge of ALL crap foods now!
  2. Practice eating now the way you will have to eat post-op: small plates, small bites, chew slowly, no soda, no sugar, etc.
  3. Whatever you are allowed to eat the first few weeks (everyone's plan is different), get that stuff prepped now and put in the freezer so you don't have to think about it. Thaw and eat.
  4. If you aren't tracking your food now through My Fitness Pal, get on there and get familiar with it so you can hit the ground running after surgery.
  5. The kind of gas pains you have after surgery won't be touched by Gas-X strips. Those are for intestinal gas. The gas pains after surgery are from the anesthesia circulating in your body that gets trapped in certain areas. The ONLY thing that works for that is walking, walking, walking, walking.
  6. Get your heart and lungs into good shape for surgery. Quit smoking NOW if you do, drink lots of water each day to stay hydrated and walk/exercise as much as you can.

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Brookie101
on 10/21/15 10:38 am

psychoticparrot
on 10/17/15 1:09 pm, edited 10/17/15 6:09 am

This suggestion is not related to the surgery itself, but concerns post-op nutrition. It's a book that I consider it to be the gold standard of post-bariatric nutrition advice, and it has helped me tremendously.

"Ultimate Gastric Sleeve Success: A Practical Patient Guide To Help Maximize Your Weight Loss Results" by Dr. Duc C. Vuong

Available on Amazon.

Good luck with your surgery!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Brookie101
on 10/21/15 10:38 am

I am looking into the book now! Thank you!

Most Active