I have questions :)

breezy25
on 10/21/15 2:33 pm

ok so I just found out DH's new job offers insurance that does cover the sleeve. It doesn't kick in until December 1 so I'm unable to call and ask questions yet.

1. I don't really have any health issues that I'm aware of at this point - maybe slightly high cholesterol. I'm 274 lbs and 5'9" and 35 years old. Do I need some kind of health issue to qualify me for the sleeve? Or is just being chronically overweight with a million attempts and failures at weight loss enough?

2. Did you change afterwards? By that I mean....were you cranky? Because food is my drug and any diet I go on ends up putting me in a pissy mood 80% of the time. I understand this is not a diet but I will have to relearn how to fuel my body and mend my relationship with food. I also know that won't be easy!

Ready2goNOW
on 10/21/15 4:17 pm

Hi!

Insurance requirements for surgery vary, but a BMI of 40 or above is usually grounds for approval. A BMI of 35 with co-morbidities is usually approved. But again...depends on your insurance!

I just had surgery a week ago. However, I can tell you most of us have battled the same demons you describe above. Often, carb withdrawal causes mood changes and also makes it difficult to move to a healthier lifestyle.

I was required to work w/a dietician for 6 months before surgery, and during that time began practicing how I would eat after surgery. I actually enjoyed learning better eating habits and for the first time in my life lost 76 lbs...I had never been able to diet/lose before.

So if you commit yourself to changing your eating lifestyle...not dieting or relying 100% on the surgery to 'fix' you...the cranky, pissy, etc. feelings will be far and few between...or for legitimate reasons unrelated to food!

Good luck!

Kathy

breezy25
on 10/21/15 4:29 pm

I just checked my BMI and its 40.6....I may be unhealthier than I realize.

I good for you on your weight loss! How are you feeling a week out from surgery?

Ready2goNOW
on 10/24/15 9:33 am

Sorry...overlooked your response...

The first week was rough, but only because I was so tired and shaky. Within 12 hours of starting week 2/full liquids I have bottom stronger and more energetic everyday!

I am beginning to understand what the vets on here mean about it being a wild ride!

I'd go this again tomorrow!

Kathy

psychoticparrot
on 10/21/15 5:16 pm

Question 1: Ready2goNOW covered it.

Question 2: Recovery from the surgery and moving through the food stages (liquids, pureed, soft, etc.) is often difficult and can make the nicest person a bit "pissy." Losing weight (even with quite a bit yet to lose) has so improved my health and feeling of well-being, I've been able to stop taking the antidepressant medication that I had been on for years. At your young age, appearance is still important, and being able to fit into small, stylish sizes will do wonders for your mood. Of course, if you're a naturally "pissy" person, WLS won't fix that.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

breezy25
on 10/21/15 5:25 pm

Haha :) Well I'm a bit moody but I'm not hateful or pissy all the time. I do get hangry! Lol. I'm on anti anxiety meds that tend to help with my moodiness (which really is caused by the anxiety I suffer from). Overall I'm not "pissy" haha.

GoBlueGirl1998
on 10/21/15 5:22 pm - MI

I didn't have high blood pressure, diabetes or any other medical issues. I was just obese. I was 5'8" and 291 lbs. I have BCBS and they covered everything.

I was not cranky and obviously food was my go to. Prior to surgery I saw a psychologist and that helped with changing my attitude and outlook on food. I'm not perfect now, I probably use shopping and my treadmill as my vice now, but I have a handle on it for the most part!

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

Duetoprivacy
on 10/21/15 6:22 pm

I was also perfectly healthy apart from the obesity. Low blood pressure, low cholesterol, no apnea, no diabetes, good muscle tone, etc. I qualified because of my BMI and successful participation in a medically supervised weight loss program. I'm very happy with my decision (I barely qualified BMI-wise when I started and was able to drop about 28 pounds before surgery). Good luck!

cappy11448
on 10/22/15 5:04 am

I had a lot of moodiness while I was doing the rapid weight loss - more sadness than grumpy. There are lots of hormones stored in the fat we burn, and it does get released and play havoc with our mood. But it is so worth it in the end. The weight loss surgery really works.

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Sandra F.
on 10/22/15 6:03 am

To be honest, I have found that I am definitely more cranky now and I am more than a year out from surgery, but I wouldn't change a thing. Hoping you can jump through the insurance hoops quickly and get the ball rolling. Good luck!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 35 views