Sick with a cold - gross question...

Ok2BaLoser
on 10/21/15 11:50 am
VSG on 06/19/15

I have a LOT of sinus drainage and a pretty nasty cough. I always feel full and can't get much down in the way of solids and liquids make me feel very nauseated. What did you do to help with sinus drainage? Nausea? 4 months post op....

TIA!

Crystal

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/15 1:04 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Try a sinus rinse or neti-pot! It feels SUPER weird at first and takes a bit of practice to get the hang of, but it does a KILLER job of getting the crap out of your sinuses.

(And make sure to boil the water first, or use distilled water-- don't want any brain amoebas!)

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Ok2BaLoser
on 10/21/15 1:19 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

The weird thing is that my actual nose isn't stopped up or running. It's all in the back of my throat. I do have a neti pot though. I'll give anything a try that might help.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 10/21/15 1:20 pm
RNY on 08/05/19

Eww, that's the worst-- when it's down the back of your throat and draining into your stomach. Ewww!

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

White Dove
on 10/21/15 1:57 pm - Warren, OH

The Neti pot works because it get to the back of the throat. Nothing else does that.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Ok2BaLoser
on 10/21/15 2:14 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

I will definitely pull mine out when I get home. Like I said, at this point I'll try anything to get relief!

psychoticparrot
on 10/21/15 5:26 pm, edited 10/21/15 10:26 am

The sinus rinse is the best solution. Use it several times a day and always just before bed and upon first getting up in the morning. Be sure to use distilled water. The last thing you want now is an amoebic infection in your head from tap water.

A virus is going around where I live in Baltimore and in northern Virginia where my son lives. He and his family, my husband and me, and a lot of our friends all came down with it pretty much as the same time. If what you have is the same bug, and it sure sounds like it from your symptoms, don't expect it to leave in a hurry. It took all of us, even my young grandson, about 6 weeks to get over the darn thing. I had nausea, too, from the hacking cough. I dug out what was left of my post-op Zofran to get me through the worst of it. Get better soon!

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Ok2BaLoser
on 10/28/15 2:25 pm
VSG on 06/19/15

Thank you for all of the advice! I am so sick of literally waking up sick, but between the Zofran I have and sinus rinses it seems to be at least tolerable during the day. My son (2 yrs old) has it too! UGH, go away BUG!

Kiwideb
on 10/21/15 6:53 pm
VSG on 01/19/15

Some nice hot/warm lemony drink to help break down the mucous? I know honey is a carb, but I think when feeling grotty a little honey to help ease and boost you immune system might not be a bad thing

psychoticparrot
on 10/21/15 7:32 pm

Oh, I just remembered! My husband took Mucinex (the oral form), and it helped reduce the sinus congestion. I'm allergic to the stuff, so I can only tell you how it affected him.

psychoticparrot

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 44 views