eating high protein without eating meat

beckers80
on 11/2/15 5:15 am

Anyone been doing this? I need ideas.

alouisa63
on 11/2/15 6:02 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

When you say no meat, are you including fish in that? Because I do really well with fish, cottage cheese, tofu, and meatless meat products that I get from Trader Joe's (the meatless meatballs are really good!)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

beckers80
on 11/2/15 6:55 am

I can have fish, just not a big fan. It also has to be organic salmon top of the line fish. The meatless meatballs from trader joes sound good! I will have to try those!

I'm currently fighting cancer naturally, and 1 1/2 year post op from the sleeve.

MAchick
on 11/3/15 5:51 am
VSG on 01/27/14

I'm sorry to hear that. Best of luck to you! !

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/15 6:52 am

Sending healing vibss your way. I hope you kick cancers ass! Hugs!

FuturePinUp
on 11/2/15 6:52 am

One of my on-line friends is a VSG post-op and also a vegan. She has been really successful in getting her protein in, but I believe she does not count carbs. Non-meat food rich in protein are quinoa, nuts, beans, tofu, and even meat analogs like tempeh. Lastly, using a good protein powder is also a must if you're falling short of your daily minimum.

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

beckers80
on 11/2/15 6:56 am

Ive been eating meat but fighting naturally to kick my cancer. My hoslitic doctor says to avoid meat so looking at other ways to enjoy to get my daily amount of protein in.

psychoticparrot
on 11/2/15 1:22 pm

I eat meat several times a week as a compromise to my meat-and-potatoes husband. But the rest of the time, I eat fish, tofu, beans, and eggs to get my protein. My nutritionist told me flat out before surgery that I "had to eat meat!" I'm out to prove her wrong. There are protein-rich, meatless recipes abounding on the web for you to browse through. Here's the next thing I'm going to try, and I'm hoping my husband will like it, too:

From Cook's Illustrated:

Best Vegetarian Chili

1 pound (2 1/2 cups) dried beans

Salt

2 dried ancho chiles

2 dried New Mexican chiles

1/2 ounce dried shiitake mushrooms, chopped coarse

4 teaspoons dried oregano

1/2 cup walnuts, toasted

One 28-oz. can diced tomatos, drained with juice reserved

3 tablespoons tomato paste

1-2 jalapeno chiles, stemmed and chopped coarse

3 tablespoons soy sauce

6 garlic cloves, minced

1/4 cup vegetable oil

2 pounds onions, chopped fine

1 tablespoon ground cumin

2/3 cup medium-grind bulgur

1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Bring 4 quarts water, beans and 3 tablespoons salt to boil in Dutch oven over high heat. Remove from heat, cover, and let stand for 1 hour. Drain beans and rinse well. Wipe out pot. Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 300 degrees. Arrange anchos and New Mexican chiles on rimmed baking sheet and toast until fragrant and puffed, about 8 minutes. Transfer to plate and let cool for 5 minutes. Stem and seed anchos and New Mexican chiles. Working in batches, grind toasted chiles, mushrooms, and oregano in spice grinder or with mortar and pestle until finely ground. Process walnuts in food processor until finely ground, about 30 seconds. Transfer to bowl. Process tomatoes, tomato paste, jalapenos, soy cause and garlic in new-empty food processor until tomatoes are finely chopped, about 45 seconds, scraping down sides of bowl as needed. Heat oil in now-empty Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onions and 1 1/4 teaspoons salt and cook, stirring occasionally, until onions begin to brown, 8-10 minutes. Lower heat to medium and add cumin and ground chile mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add rinsed beans and 7 cups water and bring to a boil. Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook for 45 minutes. Remove pot from oven. Add bulgur, ground walnuts, tomato mixture, and reserved tomato juice. Cover pot and return to oven. Coo****il beans are just tender, about 2 hours. Remove pot from oven, stir chili well, and let stand, uncovered, for 20 minutes. Stir in cilantro and serve.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

happyteacher
on 11/2/15 2:45 pm

I am not a huge meat eater, and also dealing with cancer so I hear you on the goal of using diet to help in any way possible. I keep reading conflicting reports on to****oy product). Either it is really good for us and a good source of protein, or it is worse for us on the cancer front. I personally do a fair amount of beans, lentils, etc. Sams or Cost****an't remember which now) just stocked a pasta derived from edaname- loaded with protein. Bought it, but haven't tried it yet. There is a lentil based pasta that I did not like, but that was just a sample so didn't check the nutrition on it. I also do a lot of seafood, yogurt, cheese- the usual suspects. I frequently find that I have to supplement with shakes as well.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 57 views