Feeling Hungry

MelissaKay_69
on 11/3/15 5:38 pm

I'm only 6 weeks out and feeling hungry! Has anyone felt like this so early post-op? Any ideas that would help?

Dan1962
on 11/3/15 5:55 pm - Syracuse, NY
VSG on 09/23/14

Yes I had it often early on, its probably head hunger. Are you on anything for acid reflux? My advice would be to find something to do to take your mind off the hunger.

MelissaKay_69
on 11/3/15 6:01 pm

Thanks, I take Prilosec twice daily and get plenty of water. It's just frustrating to feel like this so soon after surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/15 6:16 pm

Do you seem to get hungry shortly after a meal - say within an hour?

MelissaKay_69
on 11/3/15 6:47 pm

Yes, its been bad today.

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/15 6:55 pm

Oh, I know what you're going through. It's really awful, but there is an answer (if, indeed, it's the same thing).

I had those exact symptoms, which is why I asked you specifically about them. I was farther out than you are, but it was a terrible crazy maker. I called my surgeon's office and spoke to his bariatrician (MD who deals with post ops). Turns out that for me it was an acid issue. My stomach was still making a lot of acid to digest my small meals in my small stomach and as a result I had what she called acid overproduction which left me feeling gurlgy and ravenously hungry - even though I knew I should not be hungry. It was sort of scary, actually, because it was a "deep in my gut I NEED to eat to make it stop" urge.

Anyhow, my doc put me on a new PPI (Protonix) and that did the trick. It took a day or two, but the change in PPI was all it took. I've been fine ever since. On a rare occasion I will feel the same thing, but now I know what it is and it doesn't cause me distress. I just let it pass, which it will in about half an hour.

MelissaKay_69
on 11/3/15 7:19 pm

Were you taking a different PPI before the Protonix?

(deactivated member)
on 11/3/15 7:21 pm

Yup. I started on an H2 blocker (pepcid) then moved to generic Prilosec. I was on Prilosec when I developed those symptoms. The switch to Protonix was 2 years ago.

MelissaKay_69
on 11/3/15 7:23 pm

Thanks Kairk!

RhondaDoiron
on 1/12/16 8:56 pm - Canada
VSG on 08/10/15

Thanks for the info! It sounds like whats happening to me! I have losec which I do not take regularly, so I'll start on it. Hopefully that helps. 

Thanks

Rhonda

Highest 283, optifast July 27th for 2 weeks down 12lbs to 271, surgery Aug 10, 2015. PNov 15 down to 220lbs. Jan 12, 2016 weigh 209lbs.

Most Active