Oatmeal for breakfast

samanthalc
on 11/15/15 7:42 am
with

For those of you that eat oatmeal for breakfast, can you tell me how much dry oat you use when making a single serving?  I plan to try oatmeal this week.  But at 6 months out, I still have trouble sensing when I'm full so any anecdotal information you can offer is helpful. (I know people have different capacities but I'm really starting from square one on oatmeal.)

I assume an instant oatmeal packet is too much.  So maybe half that?

Thanks in advance!

TrulyPhoenix
on 11/15/15 11:01 am - Calgary, Canada

I haven't had surgery yet, so I don't have first hand experience with post-surgery portions.  A serving of oatmeal is generally 1/4 cup dry oats, so you'd probably want to cut that in half to 2 tablespoons or half a pack of instant. 

If you're looking for something with more protein & nutrients, I recommend protein zoats.  Below is the recipe I use, but you'll probably want to cut it in half:

2 tbsp oats
2 tbsp shredded zucchini
1/4 cup water
*microwave for 1-2 minutes, stir in:
1/2 scoop flavored protein powder
2 tbsp milk (any kind)
1 tsp Benefiber

NateH
on 11/15/15 11:12 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I haven't had a sniff of oatmeal since my surgery. It's probably better to focus on protein. Also oatmeal is very carb heavy. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Donna L.
on 11/15/15 12:07 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I don't eat any oatmeal, but I could easily eat a whole packet right now five months out.  Foods like that tend to be much easier to pack in.  I'd ask your nutritionist to be sure.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

(deactivated member)
on 11/15/15 12:41 pm

At almost 4 years out I eat 1/2 cup steel cut oatmeal. It is 75 calories, 13 carbs, 2 grams protein and 2 grams fiber. I would not have eaten this during my initial weight loss phase, HOWEVER, if you want to eat steel cut oatmeal, make it fit with your daily macros. I also would highly encourage you to NOT EAT PROCESSED oatmeal (think quick oats, or anything that you pour ho****er over and let sit for a few minutes before eating). If that's what you want to eat, be warned it probably won't be terribly satisfying and may trigger cravings. One packet of instant oatmeal has roughly 30 grams of carbs and 160 calories (depending upon brand, etc...). 

Donna L.
on 11/15/15 5:08 pm - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

Steel cut oatmeal is wonderful and VERY filling.  I will definitely check it out again after I am done with my weight loss.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

happyteacher
on 11/16/15 3:41 pm

Great advice from Karik. I love steel cut oatmeal, but it is super triggery for me and my calories for the day always go high. The instant stuff is even worse. I do wish I could handle it better, because I am not against the nutrition profile. It just makes me want to eat carbs like mad.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Maria27
on 11/15/15 1:18 pm - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

All instant oatmeal is processed carbs (junk food). It is made from rolled oats, which entails removing part of the grain. If you must eat oatmeal, get steel cut oats as those are the only type that are whole grain. But I'd rather eat protein anyway.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

KathyA999
on 11/15/15 1:27 pm

Never ate oatmeal during weight loss phase.  I now eat steel cut oatmeal maybe once a week or less.  Costco sells precooked steel cut oatmeal in half-cup servings, no sweetener at all (although it does come with a little packet of dried fruit and seeds that you sprinkle over).  The biggest pain about steel cut oatmeal is cooking it, it takes so long, so this is one serving, a quick 30 seconds in the microwave and I'm eating.  As others have said, I would not recommend rolled or instant oatmeal.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

Chanti_
on 11/15/15 1:55 pm - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

This is what BLERDgirl posted over on BP about oatmeal,

"Crock pot steel cut oats. I like them but could never get them as soft/creamy as I liked. Then I discovered making them in the crock pot. Nothing fancy. Just plain steel cut oats. 1 cup is enough for me and last for 2 or 3 meals. I like to rinse them before cooking. Dump in the crock pot with enough water to cover. I toss in a cinnamon stick and a bit of salt. I also add about a quarter cup of raisins or dried cranberries and then an 11ounce container of RTD vanillaProtein powder or a scoop of vanilla Protein Powder dissolved in water. 1 tbsp of brown sugar is an optional addition. Stir well and cook on low overnight. "

This sounds one, easy as heck, and two, a great breakfast to have once I am in maintenance.  If you add the protein, I imagine it is pretty filling and will satiate hunger for a good many hours.  As I read, she uses this breakfast as part of her pre- workout routine. 

I have not tried this as I feel it's carb count is too high for me @ this stage, but I'm keeping this recipe in my back pocket for the future.  I loved oatmeal pre-op and as far as bad carbs go steel cut oats are not the worst out there.  As long as you are tracking them in your daily totals then you should be okay.

If you find your weight loss slowing then I would nix the oatmeal for a while.

Most Active