BAD HEARTBURN EPISODE....prior to surgery!

C J
on 11/21/15 9:34 am - , TN

I rarely have heartburn...RARELY, and it is never bad enough that acid comes to my mouth, but last night this happened.  It was horrible.  I got up and took a pepcid, and it stopped it quickly.  My question is, should this worry me about getting sleeved?  I know heartburn is possible with this surgery, and I don't want this happening all of the time.  It was awful.

CJ

Living > Existing

256/231/135

Donna L.
on 11/21/15 11:43 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I never had GERD prior to surgery and wound up having terrible GERD after that is some of the worst you can get.  My case is exceptional, though, and we are not sure what is causing it five months out so severely.

It's best to talk about your concerns with your doctor.  Many surgeons suggest RNY over the sleeve if you have a history of GERD, but he or she will know your case and medical history way better than we will here on the internet.

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

psychoticparrot
on 11/21/15 3:50 pm

And, in directly the opposite direction from meep's experience, I had GERD before surgery (took prescription-strength prilosec for 16 years before the surgery). Six months post-op, my surgeon cut my med in half -- I had no problems at all. I expect when I see him next year, he'll take me off it altogether.

Could it be that all the stress about your upcoming surgery is causing excessive acid? I know you're really stressed out about it. Check with your surgeon for the best answer to your question. He might want to put you on a prescription for both before and immediately after surgery.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

(deactivated member)
on 11/21/15 6:45 pm
RNY on 05/04/15

See if your doc might want to do an endoscopy or 24-hour pH monitor to see how bad your GERD is. I had severe GERD before surgery but never had heartburn or felt any reflux, I just had waves of nausea a few times a day. An endoscopy for something unrelated showed the beginnings of Barrett's esophagus from the acid damage, and my subsequent pH study was off the charts -- all with no typical GERD symptoms at all. This is why I wound up having RNY instead of sleeve. I still need Prilosec once a day, but I was on it twice a day before still with horrible nausea, so I'm thrilled to take half the dose now for no symptoms and to prevent further damage.

It's definitely worth checking into -- if it's truly a rare thing for you and not a chronic problem, it likely won't derail you, but it's possible to have GERD without being aware of it. I'm very grateful that my silent GERD was diagnosed before I went forward as planned with VSG.

Most Active