6 month stall?

samanthalc
on 11/28/15 3:52 pm
with

Hi all,

Is it common to stall around 5.5 to 6 months out?  (like the 3 week stall...)  I have been holding steady for the last four weeks.  I know stalls are not uncommon, but this is getting frustrating.  I'm revisiting my diet, but can't see anything problematic (Thanksgiving notwithstanding...)

Thanks!

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/15 4:19 pm

Going to be honest with you. A stable weight for 4 weeks indicates maintenance, not a stall. You may have hit your maintenance level of calories at your current weight and activity level. You can do one of two things to get things going again. 

1. Significantly increase the amount of exercise you are doing 
  2. Significantly reduce the number of calories you are consuming.

You can also try a combination of both - exercise a little more, eat a little less. I know the last two months before hitting goal I had to really be tight on my food program. It's the advice I got from a WLS vet and it worked for me. 

samanthalc
on 11/28/15 4:28 pm
with

Thanks, this is helpful, and what I need to hear.  Bummer though :(  

I'll revisit my diet and exercise plan.  I might need to start counting calories; it seems like just eating lean protein followed by veggies to satiety is not sufficient.  I still need to lose 25 pounds.

(deactivated member)
on 11/28/15 4:51 pm

As much as it might be a pain, you really need to track your intake, if you want to make it to goal. It's so easy to just start adding a little more as your capacity increases and suddenly you are at a maintenance level. You might be surprised to find how many calories you are really eating. Seriously weigh your food and track every bite. That'll get you to goal (as long as you keep the calories where they should be!****pt mine at about 800 per day from 5 months out until I reached goal.

Grim_Traveller
on 11/28/15 5:44 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I'm with kairk. Calories drift upward, and we get worn out focusing on every bit of food. Try weighing your portions for a while and tracking every little bit. It's not very difficult, takes very little time, and can help a LOT.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Sandra F.
on 11/30/15 7:47 am

I stalled month 5-6, for about 4 weeks.  Changing my eating routine really helped break my stall, so I would suggest that.  Don't increase calories though, just change up your foods for a bit.  You will break it soon.  Good luck to you!

Most Active