How do you handle the head hunger?

Debbie R.
on 12/5/15 1:18 pm - Las Cruces, NM

I have a hard time with the head hunger!! I know I shouldn't eat but my head says *just 2 bites of applesauce* and I can't talk myself out of it. I feel like I could throw something I get myself so worked up  What do you do to turn your brain off

cappy11448
on 12/5/15 1:43 pm

I think we all struggle with this!  I guess I have two strategies - distraction and healthy snacks, and I do the distraction if I can, and if not, I resort to healthy snacks.  For example, I make a broccoli slaw with pecans and cranberries that's yummy and only about 100 calories for a small serving.  or I'll have cucumbers, celery or green and red peppers with a little salad dressing - also low calorie and satisfying. 

Applesauce has a bit of sugar, so I might avoid it and switch to something low carb.  Carbs are a huge problem for me, waking the carb monster.  Once the carb monster is in control its all over for me.  In fact, limiting carbs may help reduce the head hunger.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Debbie R.
on 12/5/15 4:42 pm, edited 12/5/15 8:45 am - Las Cruces, NM

What about sugar free popsicles? Right now cold hurts my chest but maybe later. Does your chest still hurt when you eat or drink something cold?

SDenae
on 12/5/15 1:43 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I'm still struggling with this one myself, but I can tell you what my husband does, and it seems to work for him. When he feels hungry after a meal, he asks himself "Am I hungry enough to eat broccoli?" (For him, broccoli is a healthy food he can tolerate, but wouldn't really choose to eat. You would pick a food like that for you.) If the answer is yes, then he eats a little broccoli. If it's not, then he knows it's head hunger and he occupies himself in some other way.

I do this trick sometimes, but it doesn't always work for me. Usually, I find myself standing in front of an open fridge and I realize what I'm doing and just tell myself "No. You are not hungry. This is head hunger." and I go find something to distract myself, like reading this board or playing a PC game.

Head hunger is a beast. The best thing we can do is figure out what triggers it (for me, boredom) and avoid it at all costs.

Good luck! ((Hugs))

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

KathyA999
on 12/5/15 6:17 pm

It's a toughie.  Distraction works well for me, and I usually realize after a while that I've completely forgotten about wanting to eat.  It's often related to some emotion, and sometimes (not always) I can identify it and work that through in my head - that in itself is a distraction.  It also helps to talk to myself about what thoughts are actionable and what aren't.  Most aren't, LOL, by the way - so as much as I'd like to take a swing at that snarky shop clerk, or tell someone to STFU, I don't.  Likewise with head hunger - just another useless, random non-actionable thought that wandered through and will be gone shortly.

Height 5' 7"   High Wt 268 / Consult Wt 246 / Surgery Wt 241 / Goal Wt 150 / Happy place 135-137 / Current Wt 143
Tracker starts at consult weight       

In maintenance since December 2011.

tonya2741
on 12/5/15 7:22 pm
tonya2741
on 12/5/15 7:23 pm, edited 12/5/15 11:23 am

Head hunger is something I'm struggling with, as well. I try to find something to distract me when it's shouting at me. I take my dogs outside to play, do laundry, go shopping - anything to push the thought of food out of my head. I've also done what some of the others have suggested like keeping sugar free Popsicles or Jello on hand. Good luck to you. I know it's difficult, but, as my nurse in the hospital said, "Keep your eye on the prize!"

HW: 246; VGS: 11/23/15 Dr. Joel Sebastien; SW: 226; GW: 130; CW: 166  

"If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you." Fred DeVito                 "Perhaps, this very instant is your time." Louise Bogan

"A year from now, you'll wish you had started today." Karen Lamb 

H.A.L.A B.
on 12/5/15 8:52 pm

If is it not time for a meal, I may drink a cup of nice tea, or water (cup for me =16 oz) 

Then, after 15 min, if I still fill "hungry", I can't find a reason for it : like hormonal, or steroid I take, or low blood sugar I get once in a while... Then I may chose to eat some of my "free to eat food"

I have a short list of what I call "free food". It is food that I can eat when hungry. The list include some veggies,_(low carbs) and proteins. When I don't want any of my "free foods" .... I know I am not really hungry.. So I try to ignore it.  But too much acid in your stomach h0can make you feel real hunger...been there..  

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Most Active