I'm 8.5 years out from VSG.....

kamehanaokala
on 12/6/15 3:30 pm - HI

At 8.5 years out from VSG, my surgery has changed me in the following ways:

-I'm forced to make better food choices because of my tiny pouch. The wisest of choices for the smallest amounts of foods to get the best outcome. Outcome meaning on the way I feel after eating and how nutritious it is for me. I'm definitely a penny pincher. I have to be because of our large family and making the budget stretch. But I've learned that when it comes to food, I don't and won't skimp on QUALITY foods. Yes, we can all agree that eating cheaper equals eating processed foods which leads to undesired extra calories, fat and carbs. And I never ever want to be 221lbs ever again. My husband and I shop for fresh, quality foods. We try our very hardest NOT to buy anything processed, in a package or in a can. It's really hard, in fact some days its a struggle especially when you're tired and worn down. We try our darndest every single day to instill in our kids the importance of taking care of our bodies from the inside out.

-I realize now that where there's a will, there's definitely a way........if you really want something, find out how you can make it happen.

-I thank my lucky stars that I have great medical, dental and drug coverage with an awesome job. If I didn't have that, I wouldn't be where I am today with a VSG procedure 8.5 years behind me, protruding vein surgery removal in my left leg(forgot the name of the procedure, lol) 2 years behind me and my Mommy Makeover whi*****luded a Tummy Tuck(w/muscle repair) and Boob Lift done just 33 days ago.

My journey that started 8.5 years ago has made me really look deeper at myself, my choices and my entire lift way deeper than the mirror. I've heard people say the rottenest things about me behind my back(on Facebook), like "she had WLS and took the easy way out". There's nothing easy about electively walking into the operating room knowing that you could potentially die, stepping onto that stepstool, laying onto that cold operating table and saying "here doc, have at me...please remove 85% of my stomache so I can figure out my food intolerances after this is over, so I can eat 1 bite too much and be quesy til I relieve myself in the bathroom, so I can go thru a boatload of money as I shrink in size and need more clothes, so I can find out who are my real friends that won't get jealous and still stick around me through my journey, nothing easy about NOT being able to go to food for comfort anymore hoping that you won't have an addition transfer, nothing easy about ANY elective surgery".  I could rant for days but I won't.........lol

I basically wanted to give an update and some hope for anyone who is questioning whether or not to have the VSG done, or who is struggling with peer issues or anything. My choice to have my VSG was the best thing I've done for myself and I believe it made me a stronger person. OH in my early days was my lifeline! And it still is.

aloha

michelle

(deactivated member)
on 12/6/15 7:09 pm

Great to "see" you, Michelle! It's been a while. Thanks for the look down the road. My 4 year is tomorrow and like you, I am so grateful to have had my VSG. It's been a hell of a ride - not always good - but a ride that has been well worth it. I'm better off now than I was before WLS in so many ways and think I'm a much stronger and self aware person than I was, too. 

Keep on the path! 

kamehanaokala
on 12/7/15 11:34 am - HI

You took the words right outta my mouth........."much stronger and self aware". That's ME!!!!

Spencerella
on 12/7/15 8:34 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Thanks so much for checking in with us!  Glad to hear that things are working out so well at more than eight years out. Your success really gives me hope that I can continue to do well over the longer term. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

kamehanaokala
on 12/7/15 11:41 am - HI

Linda,

I always looked at my WLS as "it's not a cure all", just a "tool" that I was given to help me along my way/journey/path.......I am the Captain that runs my ship. I am the Captain of my soul too. Whatever my choices are I know what the outcome will be and I take full responsibility for it.

Meaning.....

Yummy spinach salad = makes me feel energetic and good afterwords. clean eating!

Chips = makes me feel like crap after 20 minutes, super salty, empty calories. carb crash shortly after......icky

Happy Monday!!

aloha,

michelle

jubjub
on 12/7/15 9:36 am - Palm Desert, CA
VSG on 06/25/12

Thanks much for the post!  It's rare to hear from anyone with so much experience.

Tom

Heaviest: 313/VSG Pre: 295/Surgery: 260/Maintenance target:190 - Recent: 195 (08/15/19)

1st 2015&2016 12-Hour Time Trial UMCA 50-59 Age Group
1st 2017 Race Across the West 4-Person 50-59 Age Group
4th 2019 Race Across America 8 Person Team

kamehanaokala
on 12/7/15 11:45 am - HI

Tom!

I wouldn't call myself experienced. I continue to learn new things about nutrition, eating and what doesn't work for me DAILY. It's still a journey......lol

Have a great Monday!

aloha,

michelle

frisco
on 12/7/15 10:37 am

What????

Spam Musubi is out???

Thanks for the update, you were one of my deciding factors to go with Dr. Cirangle.....Mahalo !

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

kamehanaokala
on 12/7/15 11:47 am - HI

friscooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!

(((((((Hugggggggssss))))))))!!

How's life? Tummy? Maintenance? Do you still go see Dr. C regularly? Fill me in!!!!

aloha,

michelle

aka kamehanaokala

aka spam musubi

ThinLizzy
on 12/8/15 8:55 pm - Benicia, CA

Hi, Michelle, nice to see you and glad things continue to go well!!!

Lizanne

Starting BMI-38.5, Surgery 08/14/07

Most Active