what happens at a pulmonary apointment?

judeloren
on 12/8/15 7:55 am

Hello I am in the process of getting approval for a sleeve surgery and they say i need clearance from pulmonology. I am pretty sure I don't have sleep apnea. I sleep all night and i don't stop breathing.  I have an appointment set up with a nurse practitioner and i was wondering what to expect.  Will they just ask me questions? I hope i don't have to have an overnight sleep study i have young kids. The surgeon's office said they may not require one. I am assuming if i don't have symptoms of apnea that they will probably just release me?

thanks!

SkinnyBonz38
on 12/8/15 8:40 am

Hi judeloren. I am embarrassed to say that this gentle lady does sore...and according to the At-Home sleep study I snore 100% of the time during the course of the night! In addition I stopped breathing NINE times during the hour. (They said this was mild and that some can stop breathing 100 times an hour.)

So I accepted the much dreaded CPAP machine that will help with my condition that I was positive I did not have. I just got it yesterday but will use it tonight because I forgot to buy distilled water which is what they say only use. So, do not fear. Ask your doc to send you the AT-Home sleep aparatus and see what it yields. I hate things that tell me I'm unhealthy and fat but they are there to help so embrace it. 

judeloren
on 12/8/15 11:07 am

that sounds like what i did when i got my lap band. they sent me home with a machine to sleep with had tubes like oxygen that went around my nose and i passed that one.  I was hoping to do that again this time.  I hope i don't need a cpap. my husband has one and i tried it and felt like i couldn't breathe with it.  My husband said i only snore on rare occasion and its soft.

Neesie57
on 12/8/15 10:14 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I didn't have a sleep study done.  I already had enough co-morbidities without sleep apnea added on.  My husband told the doc that I don't snore, so the doc took him at his word.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

judeloren
on 12/8/15 11:09 am

i have enough too but dr says if have sleep apnea that i have to bring machine to surgery to recover faster.  My husband says i really dont snore either. he said just once in a while and its quiet. i am hoping the dr says i dont have it and i dont have to do the study.

Debbie R.
on 12/8/15 10:15 am - Las Cruces, NM

An overnight sleep study is required. You may not think you have sleep apnea but almost every overweight person does. If you snore your chances are almost for sure. They told me I stop breathing 38 times an hour. Even if it's a nanosecond they count it as stop breathing. During the sleep study they place wires all over your body (including your head). The wires are put in place with stuff that's like chewing gum (hard to get out of your hair) Mine was done in 2 stages. One night was without a cpap mask and when I went to the doctor for my follow up he said I had sleep apnea so I had a second sleep study with the "bi pap". I needed a bi pap because I was struggling to breathe out AND in. If you are given a cpap or bipap you will have to take it to the hospital with you. Good Luck and Congrats on the start of your journey

Most Active