How do I battle complacency?

Kara D.
on 1/3/16 6:28 am
VSG on 03/02/15

I'm 9 months out from surgery and I am feeling complacent. It could be a side effect of my winter depression but I have no motivation to get back to the gym. I know how important that is, I just don't have the motivation to go. Words of encouragement and advice would be terrific! 

HW 303, pre op diet 284  CW 278

Laura in Texas
on 1/3/16 6:54 am, edited 1/2/16 11:50 pm

Your eating is far more important than the exercise. As long as you are not complacent with that, you should be fine.

I used to exercise like a maniac, but like many of us, I lost interest. Now I have a fitbit and make sure I get my steps in. That works for me. Stop beating yourself up. Try to stay active one way or another, but going to the gym is not mandatory for weight loss success. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Grim_Traveller
on 1/3/16 7:04 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I agree with Laura 100%

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Neonanrs
on 1/3/16 7:14 am

You don't have to push yourself to go to the gym.  Go when your ready or you will end up hating it.  Continue keeping protein high, carbs low, calories 600-800, and make sure you undereat your sleeve.  When your ready to exercise again you will.  Your doing great

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 1/3/16 10:52 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

Going to the gym is not mandatory for weight loss. Battling the winter blahs?, yeah its kinda crappy, its like going into hibernation mode & the cold, the longer dark days can put anyone into a funky blah mode. 

Now if you want to stay active, you're gonna have to find other things to do. I used to go to the gym but now I'd rather be outside riding. Hmm it's cold, dress warmer, its dark, got me a bike light & reflective gear. Raining?, well I'd rather not ride in the rain but I do have some waterproof gear I can wear. Snow, well screw that. I'm not fu**ing with snow right now. But I can either dress warm & take a walk, or do something indoors. 

Usually when I don't feel like doing anything, first I'll just put on my workout clothes, then decide if I really want to go out. Then it'll be well I'll just put on my music & take a short walk around the neighborhood, if I find myself near the gym maybe I'll walk in & do something quick, etc etc. Take baby steps & know its perfectly ok to chill out for the day, but know its a mental hurdle to get thru the next time you're feeling blah. 

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Most Active