High Blood Pressure days following VSG?

Kim C.
on 1/10/16 9:02 am - Canada

Hi, I just had a VSG in the last few days, and now my blood pressure is really high. I didn't have undiagnosed high blood pressure or anything like that going in, just wondering if anyone else has experienced this?

MaggieL
on 1/10/16 9:15 am
WLS on 11/17/15

Are you in extreme pain?

Kim C.
on 1/10/16 9:28 am - Canada
No, I'm not in any pain at all. I feel good, tolerating clear fluids, etc.
White Dove
on 1/10/16 12:59 pm - Warren, OH

Surgery and especially pain can send my blood pressure to scary levels.  Like 180 over 120. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Juligan
on 1/10/16 6:47 pm

The most important thing is to be in touch with your surgeon. HBP is nothing to mess around with.

Tink3125
on 1/11/16 3:46 am
VSG on 12/01/15

I had/have never had problems with my BP, but after surgery for some reason it went sky high in the hospital. Honestly I think it was their wacko machines. I was not in pain or anything that would have caused it to go up. When I got home and at my 1 week follow up it was normal.

Keep in touch with your physician!

Tink

Kim C.
on 1/11/16 6:37 am - Canada
Thanks Tink! That is what was happening, and even after blood pressure medication/pain medication, the machine still showed high. Except with one nurse who used a different cuff. I plan on following up with my doctor first thing today. :)
Tink3125
on 1/11/16 7:53 am
VSG on 12/01/15

They will probably find it is normal if they take using a normal cuff and not a machine. Good luck!

kuhljeanie
on 1/12/16 7:10 am

Had the exact same issue. It's the fluids! If you increase your normal fluid levels a billion percent, you've got a ton more pressure on every type of tissue. Including your blood vessels. Are you off the IV now? 

Kim C.
on 1/29/16 8:26 am - Canada

Thanks everyone for the input. As it would turn out, my blood pressure is most definitely not high. The size of the arm cuff used can make a massive difference, and when taken properly, my BP was 128/63. Nothing like being given a good scare!! lol

Most Active