Lactose Intolerance

Debbie R.
on 1/6/16 5:25 pm - Las Cruces, NM

I have noticed since my surgery (Nov 3) that when I eat cottage cheese (my favorite) I get the runs. I had a bowl of cereal this morning and have been on the toilet all day... sorry TMI

Has this happened to anyone else? What would be the reason for this?

TIA

(deactivated member)
on 1/6/16 8:08 pm

I've had similar issues. You might want to do some googling there's definitely published evidence that this can occur. Although they say it is much more common with the gastric bypass's it has been known to happen with the VSG is well. 

Hislady
on 1/6/16 8:10 pm - Vancouver, WA

I don't know why it happens but it happens frequently with all the surgeries. I had a band and it happened to me also. I just keep lactaid in my purse so I can chew one before I eat any dairy and that does the trick.
There are also lactose free milks and other dairy products but to me it's just easier to keep the lactaid close by then it doesn't matter what I want to eat.

Sandra F.
on 1/7/16 6:03 am

I had several food intolerances after my surgery including lactose, but it got better at about month 2.  

JudithJohnson
on 1/7/16 8:07 am
VSG on 12/03/15

I was told in advance that many people experience a form of lactose intolerance after their surgery. I am blessed I am not one of them, but the dietician did give me the advice to try anything dairy at the end of a meal. For example if you're lactose intolerant, eat something different and then at the end of your meal take one small bite of cottage cheese, so it mixes in with the things you can tolerate and your stomach will very slowly adjust. If that doesn't work, I would simply wait a few weeks and try again.

Good luck!

Judith

Tracy D.
on 1/7/16 8:35 am - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

I'm definitely more sensitive to lactose since surgery.  I don't even buy regular milk anymore.  I just use almond milk for my shakes and I've recently started avoiding all yogurt and cheese too.  I've noticed big improvement in just the last 5 days.  

I've heard it reported on here again and again that it's a distinct possibility.  Not sure if it's because there's less stomach or less stomach enzyme to process it but it's a real thing. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

Most Active