Does food compulsion ever go away?

Chanti_
on 1/14/16 10:57 am - Canada
VSG on 09/24/15 with

I live alone.  My fridge is my temple and nothing impure makes it inside.  I have total control of what comes into my house food wise so it has been fairly easy to avoid the cravings for bad carbs.  I grocery shop with a list and don't deviate.

I stayed over at my parents after a winter storm yesterday.  I walked into the kitchen and was visually assaulted with donuts, cookies, homemade fudge and homemade chocolates left from the holidays.  My parents and my sister (who lives at home) all have weight issues as well.

I wanted a donut so badly.  I was hungry after night shift and it was calling my name.  Went rooting through their fridge looking for a low carb high protein alternative (there were none to be found).  I went into my work bag and fished out a BabyBel Gouda cheese which hit the hunger spot and then went to bed.

When I woke up all the bad food was still around and I was stuck there due to weather.  At least my Dad roasted a chicken for supper so I was okay. 

So my question to all long timers.. Do you ever stop wanting the bad carbs?  

I was able to resist the temptation this time, but I'm a new sleever full of motivation and ongoing success (so far).  I worry that as time goes on I will fall back into old patterns of  "Well, one donut won't hurt", which is what put me at BMI 40 in the first place.

I want to be successful but man, I can see why regain is a real issue for many of us.  I also have a new respect for all of you working your sleeve while raising children and spouses .  To be around temptation all the time and to still make the right food choices is hard work, so kudos to all of you.  

Nikke2003
on 1/14/16 11:25 am - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

For me, it is less than it used to be but I'm not sure it will ever go away. There is something inside of me that drives that compulsion to eat sugary foods. I do know that the more I eat of the sugary foods, the more I want. So, physically you can decrease cravings by staying away from it in the first place.

But, I will say that getting myself to a healthier place and continuing to, day in and day out, do things that I could not do when heavy helps me control the compulsion. Like you, I realize how early on how easy it is for the weight to come back on if we're not careful. It's all about changing the behaviors that got us to morbid obesity in the first place.

I think that you recognize these things is a good sign!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

acbbrown
on 1/14/16 11:28 am - Granada Hills, CA

I'm 4.5 years out. In my experience, the only time the cravings go away is when you completely stay off the sugar and flour. It was easy to resist the temptations for a year but then my diet loosened and cravings got the best of me. 

It's a day to day commitment to not eat the junk. It requires daily planning. It's a lot of work but your alternative is being head first into food all the time. 

There are scientific explanations for food cravings that involve neurotransmitters and receptors. It's interesting if you want to read more about it. 

I'm always willing to chat more about this since it's a huge issue for me but I have found a way - finally- to stay away from the food. Send me a PM if interested. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

betterme2014
on 1/14/16 7:36 pm - Canada

I am pre-op. Surgery Feb 1. Can I ask what you eat in a day now. Do you eat carbs and if so what? Also what food sabotage you?

acbbrown
on 1/14/16 8:52 pm - Granada Hills, CA

I do eat carbs. A fairly moderate amount. But my journey is quite different than most people here. I don't do any added sugar or flour and chose to abstain from a number of other personal binge foods like chips popcorn peanut butter...things like that. I'm able to lose weight eating 1500 cal a day but again that's not true for everyone. If you want an idea of my day to day food - I keep a food diary that I'd be happy to share with you but send me a private message. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Grim_Traveller
on 1/14/16 12:15 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

I don't understand. It's January 14, and your family still has fudge, cookies and candy left over from the holidays? What kind of freaks are they?

I don't think the compulsion ever goes away. I think living alone makes it much, much easier, because you can control what comes in the house. It makes life easier, but still not easy.

I second the notion that detoxing from processed carbs, especially sugar, and all white carbs, makes things easier. Without the cravings, we have a chance. But it's still a struggle.

I also think it's easier if you get to your goal weight. It's not too hard to fight to stay at or near your target weight. When you are a long way away, it's easier to say screw it and give up.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

psychoticparrot
on 1/14/16 3:12 pm

Grim wrote: "It's January 14, and your family still has fudge, cookies and candy left over from the holidays? What kind of freaks are they?"

I thought the exact same thing! Pre-sleeve, I would have had every goodie hoovered up by New Year's.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

diane S.
on 1/14/16 12:35 pm

be proud of yourself for making the correct choice. the more you do this the more it becomes habit and automatic.   good on you.  you can do it again and again.  we all have to.   diane

Join US On The VSG Maintenance Group Forum!! 
                  http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

Tracy D.
on 1/14/16 12:36 pm - Papillion, NE
VSG on 05/24/13

The struggle is real my dear and I won't kid you that it goes away - it does not.  There are easier days and harder days, for certain.  But for those of us with a true food obsession/compulsion or disordered eating, we will spend the rest of days managing the disease.  Nobody ever said that WLS fixes the problems in our head. 

You're right that because you're newly sleeved your motivation is at an all time high.  You can't depend on jmotivation or the sleeve to keep you from taking that first destructive bite in the future. You need to work on getting other tools in the toolbelt.  

Work with an eating disorder therapist for a few sessions; it's a great investment that I'll never regret.  Look into Overeater's Anonymous - it has literally saved my life.  Make sure you find an exercise that you can enjoy - more for the stress relief and improved mental health you'll have than for calories burned.  

No one ever said this would be easy but it's definitely worth it! Kudos to you for resisting tempation during the holidays while away from home.  That's always a tough one. 

Tracy  5'3"     HW: 235  SW: 218  CW: 132    M1: -22  M2: -13  M3: -12  M4: -9  M5: -8   M6: -10   M7: -4

Goal reached in 7 months and 1 week

Lower Body Lift w/Dr. Barnthouse 7-8-15

frisco
on 1/14/16 12:56 pm

Congrats on your "understanding"......

Stay in tune with the "red flags"...... many red flags should be scene before food goes into your mouth.

For most, it gets harder to resist as time goes on....

As long as I like ice cream more than broccoli...... I still have issues.....

Stay strong, develop good new habits and keep the path..... your way ahead in your thoughts.... keep the path !!!

frisco 

SW 338lbs. GW 175lbs. Goal in 11 months. CW 148lbs. WL 190lbs.

" To eat is a necessity, but to eat intelligently is an art "

VSG Maintenance Group Forum

http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/VSGM/discussion/

CAFE FRISCO at LapSF.com

Dr. Paul Cirangle

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 53 views