WHAT TO DO TO STAY CALM?

weigh2long
on 1/26/16 7:33 am

With my surgery Feb. 29 ,optifast Feb 14,Im feeling restless .It reminds me of before the birth of of a baby. I want to get my house in order. My emotions in order also .I know life is going to change and I want to prepare the best I can. Should I be exercising to build strenth ? practice not drinking with meals ? WHAT ? Can anyone relate? Tell me how to get some peace of mind.

Tink3125
on 1/26/16 7:58 am
VSG on 12/01/15

I actually started drinking protein shakes as meal replacements for two of my meals prior to when I was supposed to so I wouldn't have to do it cold turkey. My plan was nothing but protein shakes two weeks prior to surgery. I also started practicing not drinking prior, during, or after because I was a big drinker during meals. Also practicing, taking smaller bites, chewing 20 times and waiting 20 sec between bites.

After your surgery, remember walking is your friend, in the hospital and after you go home to help with gas pains. Sip, sip, sip...you do not want to get dehydrated!! getting fluids is the most important in the beginning and getting protein.

Read, read, read...the more educated you are the less you will have to worry about

This is the best thing I've done and should have done earlier.  I had surgery on 11/30 and am down 70 lbs from my highest weight.

Tink

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 1/26/16 8:30 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

You might want to consider meditation. I am constantly on full speed ahead in my brain, and taking time to meditate is helpful to me. I use an app called Headspace. It's free for the first 10 sessions. Give it a try

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

acbbrown
on 1/26/16 8:57 am - Granada Hills, CA

I had no preop diet but I did work on eating healthy and lost 80lbs pre-op. That being said, I had no difficulty after surgery following the phase progression and having no food for a while. I stressed way more than I should have. 

Heres some thoughts about things that I do: write a lot, journal, explore your fears, anxiety, concerns, whatever is stressing you out. It's a good outlet. Then compare to things you are hopeful for, excited about, want to accomplish and blessings you are grateful for. It helps me reduce anxiety. And maybe just see if you can see a therapist or counselor of some sort to talk it out if you think that might help -even if it's just a couple sessions over the next month. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

GoBlueGirl1998
on 1/26/16 9:21 am - MI

Step back and take a deep breath! What you're going thru is normal! Clean your house, stick your fridge with groceries you'll need post op, daydream about the new body & the new you! Trust me it will fly by. Take one a day at a time and know your health is about to make a great improvement. You got this! Deep breaths! :)

Age: 40 Height: 5'8" Highest Weight: 325 Starting Weight: 291 Current Weight: 166 Goal Weight: 160

VSG 10/24/14 with Dr. David Chengelis

weigh2long
on 1/26/16 10:12 am

Thank you ALL for your replies! Almost made me cry ,just to know others understand and care . Im so glad I quit just looking at this site and actually started to post. 

Minkey
on 1/26/16 10:43 am

I'd be concerned if you weren't anxious.  You are going through major surgery and your life will change.  My counselor says that people may go through the grief process because the life you had is gone.  Friends may change and your way of living will change, but the life you will have is much better.  Use that extra energy you have and take a walk in the park, deep clean your house one room at a time, go on line and get recipes that  you can use after surgery and just think of the things you'll be able to do that you can't now.  Definitely stop drinking with meals.  That was the big thing for me since I used to drink at least 16 oz with each meal.  It's really not too bad since your new stomach will not be able to have much in it, and protein is the #1 thing to take in.  Best wishes for a great success!!

psychoticparrot
on 1/27/16 7:46 pm

Exercise is good. Healthy eating is good. No point practicing not drinking with meals -- post-op, your sleeve will prevent any of that nonsense anyway. Not to be morbid, but many people find that updating their wills and "getting their affairs in order" helps with peace of mind, and it's a good idea to always have your final wishes in a state of readiness as a kindness to your family, surgery or no surgery.

If you find your nerves are interfering with your work or your sleep, ask your doctor for a mild sedative -- Klonopin works very well for me.

psychoticparrot

"Live for what today has to offer, not for what yesterday has taken away."

Most Active