Damn, did I screw up!!!

Kim C.
on 1/29/16 8:40 am - Canada

Before anyone decides to start giving me hell about this, trust me, my lesson has been learned! I know what is required, I know all about life changes, and I don't need a lecture.

I am 3 weeks post-op.....I have been following the strict guidelines where diet is concerned. I was on 2 weeks clear fluids, and now I'm on 2 weeks of full fluids (followed this to the letter for one week).

Last night at supper, for whatever reason, I decided it would be okay for me to eat a little bit of cheese off the top of a piece of pizza. Old habits die hard, and I highly doubt I'm the first to forget themselves. Let's just say that I think I paid for every single bad thing I've ever done in my life!! I could see some discomfort, some pain, but I NEVER expected what came out of this small 'cheat'....the result was pretty much immediate.

1. Threw up (blood in vomit)
  2. Sat down and was shaking like a leaf
  3. Threw up again (blood in vomit)
  4. Dropped to my knees and apparently fainted for about a minute (thankfully had someone home with me)
  5. Finally came around enough to crawl to a chair and sit, where it took over 10 minutes to feel 'with it' again
  6. Spent the rest of the night feeling like absolute poo, in pain, where my chest felt like it would explode

Is there anyone else out there who will admit they did something like this? If you're brave enough to admit it, what was your experience? I can tell you right now that there is NO WAY I will be attempting that again. I might live on soup the rest of my life after this. lol (Joking of course). Throwing up and seeing blood was so scary!!!!!

Maria27
on 1/29/16 8:53 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Please call your surgeon! That does not sound normal. My clinic allows melted cheese on day three after surgery. Their plan is the same for rny and vsg, so that should not have happened from some cheese 3 weeks after surgery. The blood on your vomit is very alarming! Please check if your paperwork says anything about that.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Kim C.
on 1/29/16 9:18 am - Canada

I find it interesting how different all of the clinics are. The one I'm part of is 2 weeks clear liquid, 2 weeks full fluids, then soft solids starting 4 weeks out. I've read other posts where people were on soft solids within a week of surgery. I left a message at the clinic, hopefully they'll call me soon.

FuturePinUp
on 1/29/16 11:42 am

Yes!! Couldn't agree more with this. Throwing up blood is NOT normal and I was also eating melted cheese from Day 2 post-op on. There may be something more serious going on!! Please take care of yourself!!

VSG: 06/24/15 // Age: 35 // Height: 5'10" // Lost so far: 190 lbs

HW: 348 (before 2 week pre-op diet) // SW: 326 // CW: 158

TT/Lipo & BL/BA: 07/21/17 with Dr. Reish (NYC) BL/BA Revision: 01/11/18 with Dr. Reish (NYC)

Unconventional Sleever & Low-Carb Lifer

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/16 8:54 am

I never did anything like that post op. I was good about following my surgeon's directions to the letter. 

Hopefully, by posting your experience you will help someone else be more mindful and avoid getting into the situation you caused yourself last night.

I, will say, too, that you are very brave for putting your experience out there for all to see. Kudos to you for that! 

Please call your surgeon's office and let them know about the blood in your vomit - just to be on the safe side. I don't think you should be bleeding at 3 weeks post op, but I don't know. I'd hate for something to be really wrong - more than just an irritation to you sleeve. 

dobermanleloo
on 1/29/16 9:59 am
VBG on 02/10/16

that stinks I haven't had surgery yet until 2/10 but I certainly wont be eating any cheese thanks for the heads up. Hope your better now! Maybe you are lactose intolerant and now its just multiplied since your tummy is super small.  Hang in there.

White Dove
on 1/29/16 9:00 am - Warren, OH

I don't think anyone will admit to something like that because it is the strangest thing I have heard of.  At three weeks post-op you should not be vomiting blood or fainting from a piece of cheese.  You are either not healing properly or have possibly developed an ulcer.

Continue with your post-op plan but if you vomit more blood get medical attention.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Kim C.
on 1/29/16 9:14 am - Canada

By admitting to it, I meant to having a moment where they 'cheated', not to a moment where they fainted from cheese. Maybe my wording was off....I just wanted to know if anyone else ever did something dumb like that without thinking, and if so, did they have any consequences.

Grim_Traveller
on 1/29/16 9:43 am
RNY on 08/21/12

Sorry, no. I never  went off plan. Never was even tempted at three weeks.

Blood is not normal. Some plans have people eating soft foods right away after surgery. You really need to be seen.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Spencerella
on 1/29/16 10:36 am, edited 1/29/16 2:35 am - Calgary, Alberta, Canada
VSG on 10/15/12

Yup you're brave to admit this but not sure why you want to know if anyone else did it, other than to 'normalize' what you did.

Yes there are a few exceptions like you, but most people follow post op instructions to the letter because of their fear of developing a life threatening leak. And your reaction sounds serious. Coming down on you in hopes of saving someone else and I really hope you haven't hurt yourself. Take care. 

LINDA                 

Ht: 5'2" |  HW 225, BMI 41.2  |  CW 115, BMI 21.0

Most Active