any former (or current) mmedifasters?

ejirish
on 1/31/16 10:45 am

I first did medifast in 2008 with great success- I lost about 80lbs in a year .5...however I found it to be my only success on that program- meaning, I wasnt every nearly as successful any other time- I'd try it again, and again- and I'd lose a few lbs- but I could never recreate "the magic"....

I'm now back to the exact weight I was when I first started medifast. I'm thinking the sleeve will be a permanent medifast....low carb, high protein- no grazing...and great results. 

I really cant wait to get through the preapproval process!!

Paula1965
on 1/31/16 2:37 pm
VSG on 04/01/15

I did Medifast about 8 years ago and lost 100 lbs. (234 to 134). I started gaining the weight back as soon as I started transitioning back to a "normal" calorie level (about 1,500 calories). Within a year I was back up to 234 or higher.

The post-op eating plan is a lot like Medifast...low carb, high protein, lean and green. You just can't eat as much at one time.

Paula

5' 4" tall, HW: 242, SW:215.4 Weight Loss - pre-op: - 26.6, M1: -15.4, M2: -16, M3: -11.4, M4: -11.2, M5: -12.2, M6: -7.4, M7: -7.8, M8: -2.0 Goal of 130 lbs. reached at 8 months, 2 days post-op!

Daelcare
on 1/31/16 2:52 pm - Easley, SC
VSG on 10/27/14

I did Optifast before my sleeve with the same kind of results you're talking about.  I knew the sleeve would be a wonderful thing, but I did not fully understand (even though everyone on here said it) just how much work it would be.  Nothing is permanent!  After your sleeve, you will go through that same "honeymoon" phase and lose sooooo much weight and look sooooo good and feel sooooo good....and then maintenance hits!  Unless you have dealt with, and made the necessary life changes that will need to be made, you will graze and you will gain!  It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself, but it is not a "miracle" and will take daily vigilant persistence to accomplish and maintain the goal that you are setting for yourself.  Best of luck!

5'5" 64 year old; HW 219; SW 199; CW 129; GW 145ish (original)...now on to "ideal" (138)...got that...now a few spare (132)...got that one, too! Now for the 120's!! Made them...now for the "dream" weight...125! Well, that one's proving to be a little tougher!

brownblonde
on 2/1/16 11:03 am

^^This.  The life cycle of my sleeve in the 5 1/2 years since surgery has been as follows:

surgery-6 months:  Wow I can't believe I'm magically losing weight.  Fiiiinally.\

6-12 months:  Uhhhh..a lot of people are already at goal weight...slowing down...will I make it.

12 months-3 years:  Yay I made it.  It's so fun being the self I always dreamed of.  So fun maybe I begin to think I'm invincible.  And I am...for now.

3-4 years:  Better star****ching it.  Whew--a few minor changes and I'm able to maintain pretty easily.

4 years-current:  Struggling just to maintain.  I don't know how the calories sneak in, but I guess they do.  

I don't say this to discourage OP, but just to give fair warning.  Because I think if I had heeded some of the warning back in the invincible stage, it would've made life right now a lot easier.  I always tell people that surgery is not the "easy way out," but it was the "only way out" for me.  You will definitely lose weight with WLS, and it will be wonderful.  Just make maintenance easier on yourself by starting some of those healthy practices now, and sticking to them even upon hitting goal weight.

It's gonna be great.  Good luck!

ejirish
on 1/31/16 3:27 pm

I just cant wait. I'm as ready as I'll ever be...I hope to knock off a few for summer! (I'm praying for a may/june surgery) I feel like this will be my shot. I had a very dark/depressing time- i would go to bed thinking "i'm so fat",...then I'd wake up feeling the same way. I was dieting...counting points...joined a gym. Then, one day- I woke up and decided I'm not going to stress anymore. I'll eat healthy, and do my best. That attitude helped me sleep better at night, but not much else. 

I truly believe this is going to be my chance to live a slimmer, fuller life...I want to enjoy the rest of my 40's, and honestly just be happy and healthy. 

acbbrown
on 2/1/16 5:54 am - Granada Hills, CA

If you think you are completely ready for this journey, you may not realize what you are getting into. There's no way to ever be ready for what's going to happen. Dieting, counting calories, tracking food - that's all gonna be a part of post WLS life. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

ejirish
on 2/1/16 6:31 am

I'm sorry- I'm not trying to imply that I think this is a breeze or a simple decision. But, I do feel as ready as I can be...I'm very well practiced at counting, measuring- I think the benefit of the "tool" will make the positive difference that I need. 

I admire everyone that made the brave choice- I cant wait to do the same. By no means do I think its easy...

Most Active