Talking to your employer about leave of absence...and how long did you take?

ejirish
on 2/7/16 6:30 am

Sorry if I'm "over posting"... just trying to get real life advice for these things!

So, my paperwork came yesterday and my "tentative" surgery will be in May! YAYYY!

I've pretty much already decided to tell my employer what surgery I'm having- they cant hold it against me right? I just dont want to seem like I'm trying to hide anything...and I'm perfectly OK with people knowing. I just dont want my HR department to think this isnt necessary or something...frivolous... 

Next, I want to be the one to tell my Boss- but he's a guy, and I'm afraid it could be awkward...but again- I just want to tell him what I'm doing..no need to make it a mystery or anything. Plus, I fully expect it to spread like a California wild fire. My HR department isnt exactly the most trustworthy...believe it or not.

Next- in my seminar- the Surgeon said it normally takes 2 but no more than 4 weeks to recover from sleeve (barring anything unexpected)... Please dont think I'm selfish, but I fully intend on taking the most allowable time ...but lets say I heal quickly like most...and the DR wants to send me back to work after a week or two- am I allowed to ask for more time? My short term leave benefit covers up to 6 months, the first week is my PTO (NOT saying I expect to take 6 months- but I would prefer to take 4 weeks if thats the longer average of "healing time"... )

I'm going on vacation in april, and plan to tell my company as soon as I get back (mid april)... coming up quickly!!

MelissaKay_69
on 2/7/16 6:48 am

I took 4 weeks off from work. I'm a pharmacy technician so I am on my feet all day with lifting up to 50 pounds. My doctor is pretty liberal and let me choose how long I wanted to be off. For my first two weeks I had to use my vacation/PTO time then short term disability kicked in. FMLA allows up to 12 weeks per year. If I had a desk job I probably could have gone back sooner. I also choose 4 weeks because that's how long it took me before I was allowed to return to regular foods. Congrats and good luck on your upcoming surgery :)

sds0029
on 2/7/16 7:41 am
VSG on 01/19/15 with

I took 2 weeks, my surgery was outpatient.  I truly needed 1 week recovery and the second week really helped adjusting to the sleeve.  My thoughts are the extra time would only be necessary if your job required  heavy lifting.  Good luck to you.

ps I was straight with everyone and I believe it was the right thing to do for me.  

acbbrown
on 2/7/16 7:43 am - Granada Hills, CA

Take the 4 weeks. It takes that long at least to get into a routine of staying hydrated and learning how to eat. My dumb ass tried going back after 5 days and my boss ended up sending me home bc I was miserable so I took 2 weeks off. I was functional but miserable. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

NateH
on 2/7/16 7:45 am
VSG on 09/26/14

I took 3 weeks total. 1.5 for pain and healing and 1.5 to figure out my plan, how to eat and just mentally get back in gear. 

HW: 450
SW: 428 9/26/14
Reached 'normal' BMI (24.9) with a weight of 199.9: 2/5/2016

Michmanbigboy
on 2/7/16 8:32 am - Whitmore Lake, MI

Since I was always open and honest about my surgery with my boss he understood my needs. I am a truck driver so taking time off was rough for both of us. I did though only need a full week of before I felt strong enough to make it through the day.  

White Dove
on 2/7/16 8:43 am - Warren, OH

My surgeon suggested six weeks.  I was working for fortune 500 company they used a company to administer sick leave.  They had many weight loss surgery patients and their recommendation was two weeks off for a desk job.  You will probably be perfectly capable of working after a few days. 

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

CMR1075
on 2/7/16 9:06 am
VSG on 01/15/16

Surprisingly, I felt terrific after 1 week and went back to work and I am dental assistant so I am moving all over the place in the chair. My stomach where the incisions are were a bit sore if I leaned on something so I was a little nervous I would be in pain but I wasn't....just a little tired the first few days. I had to explain what I was doing with my boss and manager because of all the long pre op appointments and they were both super supportive. I made the decision to tell others in the office since I would be changing my eating habits and it seems like we are always celebrating something or offices are sending us food for thank you's for referrals. It's completely up to you how much time you want to take off, but here I am 3 weeks post op and you would never have known I've had surgery unless I told you ;) 

csettle7
on 2/7/16 11:02 am, edited 2/7/16 3:00 am
VSG on 01/14/16

I had an uneventful recovery and went back to work after 5 days. My procedure was outpatient. I was on my feet all day but no heavy lifting. 

Donna L.
on 2/7/16 11:37 am - Chicago, IL
Revision on 02/19/18

I took two weeks off but I wish I had taken a month to get used to eating.  I was able to return to work after two weeks, though (I have a sedentary desk job).

I follow a ketogenic diet post-op. I also have a diagnosis of binge eating disorder. Feel free to ask me about either!

It is not that we have so little time but that we lose so much...the life we receive is not short but we make it so; we are not ill provided but use what we have wastefully. -- Seneca, On the Shortness of Life

Most Active