Self pay - questions.

breezy25
on 2/8/16 5:19 pm

Well the surgery center came back to me and said my ins would deny me because they require a BMI of 40+ for five consecutive years OR a BMI of 35-39 with at least one comorbidity for five consecutive years. 

I have neither. I've struggled with weighty for a really long time but I don't have the comorbities they require and only recently in the past year has my BMI reached 40. 

I truly believe I need this surgery so my family has decided to pitch in and help me pay for it. Yay!

I have a surgical consult March 2. But I had some questions if anyone has self paid. I know it won't be the same everywhere but...

Do they typically require you to lose a little weight beforehand? What tests are involved? 

Im wondering how long it will be between my consult and surgery date.

Bufflehead
on 2/8/16 6:16 pm - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

There really isn't a "typically" or even a "they" when it comes to bariatric surgeons and their practices. The only way to use they is to say they vary a lot!

Many surgeons will require some sort of upper GI imaging (either a series or an endoscopy) before surgery to know what they are getting into, blood work, an EKG, and a chest x-ray, but none of that is even "standard."

Most people I know who have been self-pay have been able to have their surgery within a couple months of the consult, and have not been required to lose weight beforehand, although they are frequently required to be on a pre-op liver-shrinking diet which may have the added side benefit of causing weight loss.

Good luck to you! Keep us posted.

breezy25
on 2/8/16 6:24 pm

Yeah, that's what I figured. Oh well, was just kind of wondering about other people's experiences.

thanks for the well wishes!

lindsayraec323
on 2/10/16 12:41 pm
VSG on 02/05/16

I know this sounds crazy, but you could try Mexico.  I didn't meet insurance requirements here.  I was very scared, but I researched and found a great doctor.  It's all done.  The care and facilities were top notch, and the price was half of the cost in the U.S. 

Tam2
on 2/15/16 4:45 pm

Hi Lindsay, would you mind telling me where you went in Mexico?

acbbrown
on 2/8/16 6:44 pm - Granada Hills, CA

Ask around to different surgeons about what they personally require. Most of their practices are usually dictated by what ins companies require. I've known several self pay to have surgery within a couple weeks. 

www.sexyskinnybitch.wordpress.com - my journey to sexy skinny bitch status

11/16/12 - Got my Body by Sauceda - arms, Bl/BA, LBL, thigh lift. 

HW 420/ SW 335 /CW 200    85 lbs lost pre-op / 135 post op

~~~~Alison~~~~~

Wildagain2016
on 2/8/16 6:46 pm
VSG on 01/25/16

Hi Breezy- I am sure each surgeon is different but here is my info.  I had surgery on January 25 (just 2 weeks ago).  I went to the seminar to learn about VSG on December 3, 2015.  I decided immediately to do it so I  got all my test rolling right away.  I had my consult on Dec 30th and they gave me the first surgery opening which was Jan 25th.  So it took me right at 2 months for a self-pay.  One other thought: Check with your surgeon to see if he has BLISS insurance ( which covers complications as your insurance may not cover complications if they don't cover the surgery).  It was about $1000 but was worth it to me.  My surgeon was Dr James Atkinson at Surgical Weight Control Center.  It was a great experience overall and I would recommend him to anyone.  Hope this helps.  Thanks, Wild Woman

Wildagain2016
on 2/8/16 6:55 pm, edited 2/8/16 10:57 am
VSG on 01/25/16

A couple of other answers.  They had me eat kind of paleo for a week to shrink my liver (no liquid diet pre-surgery at all).  I just started tonight with real food (2 weeks post op) and so far...no issues.  Had about 3/4 ounce of chicken.  It was delicious (even chewed within an inch and of its life!) and I am so glad to be able to begin trying out food (cooked to be soft-ish but still real food) only 2 weeks post surgery.  The first two weeks were liquid diet while my stomach healed from the surgery.  It wasn't hard because I wasn't hungry at all.  I am very full on that little bit of chicken....a bit like you feel at Thanksgiving....before you eat pie!  

I know that Dr Atkinson has different protocols for different patients so even within his practice this will vary.  

breezy25
on 2/8/16 7:47 pm

Have you had any nausea or anything? My SIL had the surgery and she's spent a couple of months throwing half the things she eats back up.

Wildagain2016
on 2/9/16 10:05 am
VSG on 01/25/16

Hi Breezy- I have been very blessed.  No nausea, no pain.  It's my third week and I'm still a little tired midday....but otherwise I wouldn't even know I had had surgery (other than I only can eat about an ounce or two of food!?

Most Active