STANDING ON THE RNY/SLEEVE NEWBIES PODIUM

kerbear1969
on 2/20/16 7:54 am, edited 2/20/16 7:58 am - MD

Ok Im standing on the gastric bypass podium for just a minute, then I will get off, lol. (I have a friend that had RNY 12/15 and is eating whatever she wants and loosing, but she isn't listening to me so I'm done talking about it to her)

Here is the deal to all those contemplating or newly out RNY/Sleeve surgery.  You WILL loose no matter what you put into your mouth for the first 6-12 months due to consuming "smaller quantities"  HOWEVER, if you do it that way by eating "normally" but in smaller quantities you WILL NOT keep your weight off and YOU WILL regain your weight.  Yes ladies and gentlemen you can REGAIN after gastric bypass some, if not all of your weight.  How do you keep the weight off??? Glad you asked.  DO IT RIGHT from the beginning, don't consume carbohydrates, sugars, "trigger foods" (the ones you used to love) RETRAIN your brain!  That is the trick to loosing and keeping the weight off.  YOU HAVE 6-12 MONTHS TO "RETRAIN YOUR BRAIN" from your old habits, to eat healthy foods, to eat less food but more often, then the hunger returns.  IF you do it this way you WILL maintain your weight loss.  Beginning an exercise routine and sticking to it during the mid to end of this phase also helps tremendously. Get your proteins in first and ALWAYS first. Your doing this surgery BECAUSE you've tried everything else, your rearranging your insides, that is SERIOUS, use this tool for what it is and for goodness sake TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF and nurture your new body.  That is all, stepping down from the podium now.

RNY 8/6/15 HW 304 LW 124lbs RW 165 CW 140 Weight loss stats: Liquid Pre-op -35, August-18, September-12, October-11, November-18, December-16, January-12, February-10, March-11, April -8, May-11, June-5 July-5,August-6

(deactivated member)
on 2/20/16 2:05 pm
VSG on 12/17/15

Couldn't agree more but from the VSG side. I have two work mates who had surgery around the same time as me I love them both dearly. One (I'll call Suzy) mostly sticks to our food plan set by our dietitian (which from all my research and wisdom on the boards seems like too many calories and carbs.  I don't follow it I eat much more conservatively but at least she's listening to a medical professional) and the other (I'll call Daisy)  just eats whatever she wants but in small portions. So for example she'll go through Taco Time, have pizza and Mcdonalds etc.

I try to be encouraging like sharing what I'm eating so Daisy can taste how good eating on plan can be and that it's not boring or gross. She doesn't seem interested even if I offer her my clean unused fork to try it first so she isn't getting germs from me. I am not her mother so I can't tell her what to do. I know she'll end up heartbroken if she gains the weight back, her self esteem is already sub sewer level. Which obviously surgery can't fix, but I think it is helping her somewhat as she loses weight.

I am the most "militant" or "rigid" of the three of us, I don't go over my personal calorie or carb goal, I keep my protein north of 75 grams a day. Maybe I'll be as low as 70 grams on a "I'm eating what I want within reason" day but our dietitian told us to get 60 grams a day so I'm still exceeding that goal.

Of the three of us my weight loss is not the highest (Suzy had vomiting for weeks and weeks after surgery so that put her at the top of loss albeit in not the best way) but I'm easily out pacing Daisy, and she seems so glum about it. I try very hard not to mention it around her or to her unless she asks me point blank. She'll ask me how I am losing 4-6 lbs consistently in a week. I just tell her I am getting 700 calories or under, 40 crabs max or often under a day, over 70 grams protein a day, taking all my vitamins everyday (Daisy hardly ever takes her vitamins she admits this to me regularly) and getting at least 64 oz of water a day (Daisy also barely drinks 20 oz of water a day).

I try to encourage her because I care for her a lot, I'll take a sip of water and ask her "how you doing on water today hun?" and not in a rude or condescending way just in a friendly tone with a smile and she usually just replies "not great". I wish I could help her but I am doing all I can.

I even offered to come over and show her how I cook certain dishes and even provide the ingredients if she can't afford them for the lesson. I've offered to let her walk with me on our 45 minute lunch (it's almost always at the same time) it's not a hugely fast pace just brisk but she did it once and said it was too much and her legs hurt so I don't push her.

It's honestly heartbreaking for me (and Suzy too) to see. We want to help Daisy but she is so resistant stating "well I know the weight will come off no matter what I just must be a slower loser than you two" but honestly I don't think it's that. 

Again I am just sweet to her but in my mind I want to shake her by the shoulders and say "what are you doing? you've been given a gift (our surgery was 90% covered by our insurance last year) and you're wasting it" but again it's not my place.

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 2/20/16 3:51 pm - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

It's hard seeing those you care about struggle. All you can do is stay the path & maybe they'll take their cue from you. They may have had surgery, but are not ready for the long term lifestyle change/commitment the surgery requires.

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Steph Meat Hag
on 2/23/16 2:14 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

Daisy hopefully will wake up one morning and find her gusto.  It's like anything, smoking, drinking, too much video game playing or whatever your vise is.  I think each person has to wake up and say... wait I don't want to do that but not like they woke up the other days.  This day is different and you really mean it.  Sounds like Daisy woke up enough to get started but not enough to make the hard choices each day to say F IT to fast food and junk food.  Keep going like you are and showing her the way to her goals.  Hopefully one morning she'll wake up with a positive and to heck with this crap attitude.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active