Low Vitamin D

MammaKathy
on 2/23/16 5:47 pm

I am just starting on this journey. I had a ton of labs drawn this morning. I am also an RN, and was able to access my results. My vitamin D level is only 12. I guess that is why I have had so much low back pain, pain in legs especially when walking, etc. I haven't had the chance to talk to my doctor yet, but I am hoping this won't keep me from getting my VSG. I still have to go to classes (start this week) for 6 months...so I know there is time. I am just wondering if anyone else had this problem?

Grim_Traveller
on 2/23/16 7:18 pm
RNY on 08/21/12

Low D is common. It's estimated that a majority of people are deficient, but the test is not commonly done. 

It comes up pretty easily with supplements, so you should't have any trouble getting it higher in fairly short order.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

califsleevin
on 2/23/16 9:57 pm - CA

It's nothing that should keep you from having surgery since, as Grim suggests, it's common in our population and fairly easily treated. My doc started pre-op screening for it a number of years ago not due to any surgical hazards, but as a means of understanding how much of whatever post op D deficiency they were seeing was due to the surgery and how much was inherent in their patient population.

1st support group/seminar - 8/03 (has it been that long?)  

Wife's DS - 5/05 w Dr. Robert Rabkin   VSG on 5/9/11 by Dr. John Rabkin

kyzze
on 2/23/16 10:17 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

It shouldn't mine level was very low also and I still was able to have my surgery.

(deactivated member)
on 2/24/16 1:09 am
VSG on 12/17/15

I was also super deficient in D, I live in a northern climate and am ginger so I can't handle a lot of sun on top of not eating how I should have until I started the pre-op process. My surgical group sent me a letter saying they wanted me to start taking 6000 units right away (this was about 2-2.5 months pre-op) I haven't had follow up labs yet (that's in April) but I am not worried about it because I am taking everything I am supposed to in the amounts I am supposed to. Unless your vitamin deficiencies were causing you major health problems that shouldn't stop you from having surgery. Good luck ;)

RufusG
on 2/24/16 2:04 am

Learn more about the positive effects of Vitamin D from these Informational sites:

• VitaminDwiki          Read and search in 50+ languages
  • VitaminDcouncil      Check the section: Medical Conditions
  • GrassRootsHealth   Download the "Call-To-Action" and show it to your doctor
  • VitaminDuk            Read the blog:  How Much Vitamin D do I need ?

After bariatric surgery, ask your doctor about the importance of Magnesium & Zinc.  You may need a good MINERAL Multi-vitamin

alouisa63
on 2/24/16 3:49 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

Mine was a 9.  They put me on 50,000IU twice weekly for three months and I still had surgery :)

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Sandra F.
on 2/24/16 5:46 am

I have had low Vitamin D for years and been on a prescription.  But I had it prior to VSG, so I can't comment on whether it would keep you from surgery, although I suspect not.  I will say that my prescription actually had to decrease once I lost all the weight though.  I used to take it once a week and now take it once every other week.  Don't stress, this should be fine.

med_tech81
on 2/24/16 7:27 am
VSG on 01/12/16

My vitamin D was low. I had my surgery and then I was prescribed 50,000 UI once per week for 8 weeks.

SW~ 303.8             CW~ 230             GW~ 175

M1: -24.2       M2: -22.4         M3: 17.2

MammaKathy
on 2/24/16 1:35 pm

'Thanks everyone! I started supplements, and I can't get over how much better I feel already. I didn't have back pain last night or leg cramps while walking today. I know that it's very common, but really thought my diet was ri*****alcium and Vitamin D! I start my first class tomorrow night. I hope the next 6 months go quickly!

Most Active