It's so hard to imagine... and worry worry worry

ejirish
on 3/6/16 11:08 am

I love this site. So many wonderful stories and such inspirational progress. I simply can't imagine how I'll look -40, -50, -60 lbs. Let alone -100. 

I know I've posted before about this- but the toughest thing for me is getting over so drastically altering a major organ in my body! It seems so radical, and such a foreign concept. But then SO MANY people are doing so great that I know I should just get over it. I guess my biggest fear is that I'll be the ONE that something crazy happens... I know I need to get over that too. My second biggest fear is having the staples wear out in 20 years... oh God. I cant imagine... I know I need to get these things out of my head- but I've always been a terrible worrier. 

I'm NOT afraid of the new "diet"/way of life. In fact- I CANT wait! I CANT wait to feel and look better. I CANT wait to have WONDERFUL problems like clothes being too big!!

Nikke2003
on 3/6/16 12:13 pm - PA
VSG on 05/13/13

I think it's normal to be worried. If you're going into a major life decision such as this and don't have some anxieties, then you should worry!

As far as the staples thing... I'm no doctor, but to me it seems as though your stomach probably is healing and growing shut at the place where you are getting the staples... just like when you get stitches. But, that's just my guess.

I was always, always, always, more afraid of the obesity-related chronic illnesses that I was sure to have down the road if I didn't lose weight over the possibility of something happening to me on the operating table or a complication afterwards. I know it's scarier to think of the drastic problem that could happen from surgery because it's immediate and right in front of you. But, really... consider what lies ahead for you in the future if you continue to carry around the excess weight? That's what scared me the most.

Hang in there!

For more info on my journey & goals, visit my blog at http://flirtybythirty.wordpress.com

cappy11448
on 3/6/16 1:12 pm

Hi,

I also struggled with the thought of modifying my stomach this way.  But I finally got to the point where my life was going to be a downward spiral ending in early death if I didn't get my weight under control.  So I made the decision, and I am so happy I did.  I would have been happy just to get under 300 pounds when I started.  I am now at 160 pounds and a normal BMI.  I feel great.  I can buy clothes at normal stores and they look good on me!  I feel decades younger.  It is so worth it.

In terms of the staples, don't worry.  The body rebuilds the stomach around the staples, and the staples which are tiny, get built into the stomach walls and tissue.  They don't need to do any work holding the stomach together after it has healed.  So no worries on that part. 

I wish I could give you a glimpse into the future so you'd know how the surgery would work for you.  But I can guarantee that if you make the commitment and follow the rules, you'll be successful. 

There are no guarantees about complications, but they are relatively rare.  In most cases, people breeze thru the surgery, manage the recovery (which I think all would agree is manageable but not fun) and really benefit from the weight loss and improved health.

best wishes,

Carol

Surgery May 1, 2013. Starting Weight 385,  Surgery Weight 333,  Current Weight 160.  At GOAL!

Weight loss Pre-op 1-20 2-17 3-15 Post-op 1-20 2-18 3-15 4-14 5-16 6-11 7-12  8-8

9-11 10-7 11-7 12-7 13-8 14-6 15-3 16-7 17-3  18-3

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 42 views