Doctor Recommendation

SeashellShan
on 3/6/16 11:37 am

Hi everyone! I'm delighted to join this site and this is my first post. I'm about to set sail on a life altering adventure! I have decided, after being advised by my primary physician, to have weight loss surgery. I'm hoping this surgery will benefit me in many ways! I'm enthusiastic but also anxiously worried about the long road ahead of me. I had my introductory consultation with a local bariatric surgeon this month. My height is 5'4 1/2" and my weight is 220. My bmi is 37. I'm partial to the sleeve surgery after doing a lot of research on all my options. Unfortunately I was told that there was no way my insurance would cover me because my bmi is below 40 and I dont have sleep apnea or diabetes. This particular office wouldn't even try to turn my information into my insurance which is bcbs. I was heartbroken. I carry all my weight in my stomach and chest. I look 9 months pregnant. My back and shoulders ache constantly and I have joint pain. I have developed social anxiety and depression due to my weight. My primary physician wanted me to get this surgery before I develop diabetes or sleep apnea. He wants to fix this issue before it becomes a problem. For 15 years now I have lost and gained and lost and gained. I need this tool to help me. I want to feel healthy and free. Now I'm wondering if I should go to Mexico. The thought of that scares me though because what if I need a bariatric dr to look after me when I get back if something goes wrong? Will I be turned away for going to Mexico? For now I'm trying to find a good Dr with a lot of experience here in NC that would allow me to self pay. I really can't spend more than $15,000 at this time though. Can anyone please give me advice on how to find a GREAT dr here in NC? I cant put into words what this surgery would mean to me and how much I want to be a success story! Thank you for any input!! :)

Neonanrs
on 3/6/16 2:49 pm

Seems like every time I post something on this site someone tells me I am wrong but this is all in the spirit of helping so here is what happened to me.  I went to a bariatric center and they said my insurance would not cover it because my bmi was too low 38. something.  She then told me the weight I needed to be to have my insurance cover it (I was only off by 3lbs) she told me this on a Friday so I went to the store and bought cake and ice cream things I was avoiding.  I went back to the bariatric clinic wearing heavy jeans and a sweater and made the cut off. They advised me not to lose any weight during the program because if I did my insurance bcbs would not pay for it.  Bcbs in ky did not require the 6 months diet monitoring but I did have other things to do before the surgery.  So once again some people will tell me I was wrong for advising you to do this but I am just giving you my experience to help you because I am 5 months out and a size 3/4 now and it only cost me 275 dollars.

Surgery date 9-23-15, SW: 212 CW: 125

Doctors goal reached in 6 months. Personal goal reached in 11 months

SeashellShan
on 3/6/16 6:44 pm

I could definitely handle 3 pounds lol! I was told I would need to be 20 pounds heavier though. I'm going to call tomorrow and see if a letter from my PCP would help describing how I have back and joint pain. Thanks for your response! :) And it sounds like you're doing awesome!!

kyzze
on 3/6/16 10:41 pm
VSG on 12/29/15 with

Hey I see no problem with that you did what you had to do! LOL

lost-in-motion
on 3/6/16 3:06 pm
VSG on 03/22/16

"The thought of that scares me though because what if I need a bariatric dr to look after me when I get back if something goes wrong? Will I be turned away for going to Mexico?"

I cant say what your insurance will say but I checked with my insurance company before I scheduled my surgery. I asked if I had an elective surgery and something goes wrong would they cover it? They said they would. Just like if you fell off the roof of your house or if you had it here and it wasnt covered and something went wrong. Your PCP should be able to cover anything that goes wrong physically, unless you need an internal one but then insurance might cover it. I spoke with my insurance carrier a few times before I was satisfied and made sure I spoke with different people each time. then compared answers. Another thing I did was talk to my PCP before I scheduled it and made sure she was on board with me going to mexio and taking my blood pnaels and what to look for. She gave me a list of things to ask the doctor in MX for and I spoke with his office to make sure I could get these things. IMHO this isn't a decision to make lightly, make sure this is what's best for you all around, even after the surgery is done. It's life altering, better safe than sorry. 

SeashellShan
on 3/6/16 6:49 pm

Thanks for your input! :) I'm going to call my insurance company tomorrow and talk to them just in case I decide to go to Mexico. I'm also going to schedule an appointment with my PCP and make sure he's on board with me going there. He's the one who advised me to get the surgery to begin with and I've researched a lot about it and also given it a lot of thought. I'm 100% sure I need this tool to help me. I would be lying if I said I wasn't a little nervous but I'm sure that's normal. I don't want to keep going down the road I am now that's for sure. ;) I'm ready to get healthy and get my life back!

Sandra F.
on 3/7/16 6:01 am

I had my surgery in Mexico and had the same concerns as you beforehand.  I live in Virginia and had found a self-pay surgeon in Charlotte that was like $12000 as I recall.  Unfortunately, I don't remember the doctor's name, but check around in Charlotte if that is convenient to your location.  There can't be that many.  I don't think the Mexican surgeons would turn you away for having a BMI under 40 but I understand Mexico is not for everyone.  Good luck to you.

SeashellShan
on 3/7/16 6:59 pm

Thank you! I will check in Charlotte! :)

june162014
on 3/7/16 1:12 pm - McAllen, TX
VSG on 06/16/14

HI i had the sleeve done June 2014 and my insurance did not caver a penny. I paid 11,000 here in the states. Best money i spent not one regret. I lost 130 pounds and in the best shape of my life. I go to all my follow ups, complete my labs, attend support groups and follow all instructions from my Bariatric team. I would suggest getting surgery here in the states so you have your team available to you at all times this and exercise has been key to my success. Good luck this tool has been life saving

SeashellShan
on 3/7/16 7:01 pm

That is GREAT to hear!! I'm hoping to find a situation just like yours here in NC! I'm by the coast but I think maybe near Raleigh or Charlotte would work. Thank you for your reply! :)

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 30 views