Anxiety setting in

wtmmoorem
on 3/7/16 7:55 am
VSG on 03/08/16

Ok, Anxiety is setting in.  I have had an anxiety disorder for as long as I can remember, but today it is in full swing...even my meds aren't calming me down.  In 24 hours I will be checking in for surgery.  I know that the possibilities of anything happening are next to none...but that doesn't calm the nerves. 

I live in a city where I don't have any family and very few friends so my support system is pretty small.  My mom was taking the 10 hour trip to come be with me and then Friday my 20 year old college student was scheduled for surgery Tuesday as well.  She tore some tendons and is at school in Wisconsin (4 and a half hours away from me) on a soccer scholarship so this is important to her as well.  I asked my mom to take the trip up to take care of her.  So that leaves me alone.  I will drive myself to the hospital and my mom and daughter will come down here on Wednesday so they will be able to help me after surgery.  But in the meantime, my mind is going a thousand directions.

I am so nervous, not just about something happening but also what if I fail?  As with all of you guys, if I hadn't failed on all other attempts to lose weight I wouldn't be in this position.  So what if I fail again?  Ugh...  

Ok, I fell somewhat better.  

THitt2016
on 3/7/16 8:09 am
VSG on 02/15/16

Being nervous is completely normal! I had my surgery 2/26/16 I was sooo nervous. My 7 yr old daughter actually asked me the night before surgery if I was going to die.  It was like she was reading my mind. I had very little support as well. My husband was in NY for business (I live in FL) My father in law drove me to the hospital and mom came afterwards. I've had surgery before C-section & 2 foot surgeries but this one seemed BIG. My advice would be to try and relax as much as possible. Spend your day before surgery getting pampered. Maybe a pedicure? or massage? I did and it made me feel so much better! Good luck in your WLS journey & you will do great!

wtmmoorem
on 3/7/16 8:19 am
VSG on 03/08/16

Thank you!  I am working for about 4 more hours and I think I will take your advice and get a manicure afterwards.  I'm with you on this one seeming BIG.  I just had a major surgery on 2/3, I had a mastoidectomy and had some complications with it so I guess that's my concern.  What was supposed to be outpatient ended up being 3 days in the hospital.  

Thank you again for the response.

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/7/16 8:28 am - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I understand, one week from today I'll be at the hospital about to do mine.  Last night there were tears on mine and my husband's side about how we wished we'd worked harder to get the weight off, how we wished we could overcome food issues without going through this.  We both are a little scared that soon I'll go back under the knife for the band to VSG revision and we'll still not have the magic ticket, we have changed our minds about food though and it's just not going to be "a thing" anymore.  Going to have surgery is always a little scary if not a lot scary.  I also take anxiety medication and I'm certain I'll be taking it the day before just like you. My office did say I could like my Xanax the morning of along with my blood pressure medication.  Maybe yours would too which might help you walk in the door with more confidence. 

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

LebenAlles
on 3/7/16 8:49 am
VSG on 04/05/16

Hey there!  I hear you both on the Anxiety (I have the disorder as well) and on the fear of failure right now.  I've got 28 more days to stew over all the "What If's".  But something that has been really helping me is reading through forums and seeing the insane difference this has made in people's weight loss journey.  It might be magic and it might still take hard work, but you're pretty much guaranteed to lose.  

I know there will be stalls and gains and all of those things we now loathe and expect from losing weight, but this isn't the same as a low-carb, calorie-counting, smoothy-drinking, etc etc we all know and hate.  Before, when we tried to restrict calories, we didn't have a stomach the size of a fist...more like a fist full of watermelons ;P.  So the biggest thing will be to keep up with our water, protein, and vitamins.  A lot less to manage when you think about it.  (This is as much a peptalk for me as it is for you, for sure)

Anyways, looking forward to hearing how awesome things are going in a few weeks, and wishing you a speedy recovery.  So sorry you won't have anyone there with you at the hospital.  I'll be sending you a shout out into the Universe, so listen for it!

Kelea
on 3/7/16 4:59 pm
VSG on 02/16/16

I think anyone would be crazy to not be a little nervous. I sure was! I had my surgery on 2/16/16. I just kept trying to think of the day as the beginning of great things to come. I made sure I said I love you to everyone that was important to me, then I just turned it over to God. Honestly I was thrilled to just wake up. It wasn't nearly as bad as I anticipated. In fact it was way better. I'm now three weeks out and doing great. And 21 pounds lighter! That would have been an easy 2-3 months of effort with who knows how many set backs. So have faith my friend it will be worth it. 

Most Active