Cigna- pre op appts- questions

ejirish
on 3/13/16 3:18 pm

So, Cigna requires 90 days of supervised diet & 3 NUT appointments (which I called my insurance to verify) However, my surgeons office insists on booking 4 appts w/ NUT b/c they say its "impossible" to schedule 3 appts within 90 days... mmmkkk. So anyway, my 3rd one is the 21st, and then I'm assuming I wont have to wait a full the 30 days between this 3rd appt, and the 4th appt... I hope I'm right. Do any of you know? I had the psych eval last week which was a breeze (and a bit silly) but I guess they have to check people - I get it. Next I believe I finally meet with the surgeon...I'll have to call about that too. 

Does everyone go on a pre op diet? My appt coordinator never said anything about it- reading everyones great results I'm kinda hoping they put me on one!

Also- I read thru a long thread on the "bariatric pal" forums- it was about people who only lost 20,30,40 lbs then just "stopped losing"...it was basically my worst nightmare. Its weird how I only read positive stories on this site- which is why I love it I guess. 

I'm getting so excited ...I cant wait for the next steps!! 

White Dove
on 3/13/16 3:28 pm - Warren, OH

Many of the people on this site do not follow the plan given by the surgeons.  I did not eat any bread, sugar, flour, cereal, potatoes, corn, peas, candy, cookies, pasta, et****il all of my weight was gone.  I still eat those things very rarely.

Many post op plans will include things like cereal and potatoes.  The surgeons are satisfied with an "average" weight loss of 55% or 65% of excess weight.  To lose 100% takes a much stricter diet.

If you are not put on a pre-op diet you can still do it on your own.  I gave up the carbs and also Diet Coke six months before my surgery.  I am sure it was much easier after my surgery because I was not going through carb withdrawal.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Oneillch
on 3/13/16 6:49 pm, edited 3/13/16 11:48 am
VSG on 02/04/15

When they tell you that you can expect to lose 60% of your excess weight, that's an average only. If you want to do better than the average then you need to put in better than the average effort.

Follow your doctor or nutritionist's plan and always have your protein first. Weigh, measure & track what you eat. Get in all your fluids, take your vitamins/calcium or other supplements & keep your carbs to a minimum (besides there won't be much room for them after you have your protein & veg) and the weight will come off. Good luck! 

T Hagalicious Rebel
Brown

on 3/14/16 8:15 am - Brooklyn
VSG on 04/25/14 with

I also had to see the surgeon & nutritionist 4 times as per ins requirements of the pre op diet. They did include the first visit which was the consult & I saw the nutritionist that day too, so I only had to go 3 more times to fulfill the ins requirements.

I had the pre op diet but wasn't given a specific amount to lose, but it was emphasized to not gain any weight, so I just pretty much stayed the same. Each insurance is different some will have to do the pre op diet some won't & the time frame is different too.

Glad you're excited, it's a crazy ride!

No one surgery is better than the other, what works for one may not work for another. T-Rebel

https://fivedaymeattest.com/

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 3/14/16 8:35 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Call your insurance company to double-check and get it in writing if possible. Everyone's insurance is different, so you're the only one who can get an answer.

There ARE negative stories here, but they don't last long. There are a lot of long-term posters here who get real with people who don't follow plan, giving them actual advice instead of hand-patting. That tends to **** off the people who make excuses and they leave the forums, so you don't hear from them.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 48 views