NSAIDs and Your Sleeve

docbad32
on 3/17/16 1:30 pm

I just had my one year follow up with my surgeon and we discussed NSAIDs because I exercise ALOT and that comes with some inflammation.  I wanted to know if NSAIDs were a no-no forever or if I could use them as needed.  He said that he had just gotten back from a revision conference with other WLS surgeons where they discussed anti-inflammatories at length.  Apparently they came to the conclusion that people with VSG surgeries, in they're opinion, were no more likely than normal-stomach-having folks to have stomach bleeding problems and that I should feel free to take NSAIDs as I need them.

I write this, not wanting to start a flame war or anything like that, but to inform those with questions who have not gotten the guidance they need on the subject.  If you trust your surgeon and they say no, then listen to them.  If you've had problems in the past or have bad reflux/heart burn, then it's probably a good idea to stay away.  Also, this advice is strictly speaking to VSG patients.  RnY folks are completely different.

One more thing.  This conversation was about taking them as needed for injuries and acute inflammation/pain.  There was no discussion about long term usage for chronic conditions. Speak to your surgeon regarding those types of questions.

As always, be excellent to each other, and party on dudes.

VSG:  3/12/15

Gwen M.
on 3/17/16 2:59 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

Considering the studies about NSAID usage and the damage they do - I think I'll still abstain.  

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

(deactivated member)
on 3/17/16 4:21 pm

The NSAID debate will continue for some time, I'm sure. The ASMBS has now said NSAIDS are a no no for VSG, too, as well as RNY.

However, my surgeon has given me permission, just as yours, to use them occasionally when Tylenol will not work. I get tension headaches that quickly turn into tension migraines if I don't treat them quickly (very different from a "real" migraine apparently - but still bad enough to make me puke!) . I was prescribed 800 mg Ibuprofen dose (basically a motrin) to knock them out at the onset. I now only take a 400 mg dose, if and when it's needed. I've done it 3 times since VSG.

Sometimes, you have to do what you have to do! 

happyteacher
on 3/19/16 8:14 am

Initially, my surgeon was Ok with it and I used them sporadically. This past summer after another surgery I was taking them fairly regularly in an attempt to keep inflammation and swelling down, and hopefully stop or slow down the scarring I was having so much trouble with. Scarring was still an issue, and acid and stomach isssues got out of control there for a bit. 

I just got home from the hospital from yet another sugery today. Doc asked about pain meds, and I just said simply no Nsaids. I am now a little paranoid about taking them. Like Karik, perhaps if it were just once in a great while I might- but never gain regularly in a pointless attempt to reduce inflammation. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Grim_Traveller
on 3/19/16 9:30 am
RNY on 08/21/12

I haven't touched an NSAID in years. But after having a bleeding ulcer in December, I wouldn't touch them with a 10 foot pole. There's no way I'd put myself at risk for that again.

6'3" tall, male.

Highest weight was 475. RNY on 08/21/12. Current weight: 198.

M1 -24; M2 -21; M3 -19; M4 -21; M5 -13; M6 -21; M7 -10; M8 -16; M9 -10; M10 -8; M11 -6; M12 -5.

Most Active