TMI -- I smell!

LosinginAZ
on 3/22/16 11:11 am

Hi all,

Since surgery I have just smelled horrendous. I know this is gross, but its my breath... and my nether region  

I shower constantly, wear deodorant, try everything, and I still smell. Its a horrible overwhelming smell and I don't know what to do. Is this ketosis? If so, do I have to eat carbs to get rid of the smell? Am I the only one with the smell problem? Its so embarrassing!

Age: 34 / Height 5' 8" / Starting weight July 2015: 446.0 lbs / Surgery Date & Weight: 1/19/16 - 320.4 / Lost pre-op: 125.6lbs / Goal Weight: 180 lbs

Darcy G.
on 3/22/16 11:47 am
VSG on 04/07/16

Heyhey,

First, I don't know what the solution is.

In the past when on Atkins, I've had terrible ketosis breath. The only thing I could do to help was drink buckets of water and even then I don't know how much it helped those around me and how much it just helped *me*, you know?   I'm no help at all, but if you're feeling the urge to do some oral spring cleaning... gargling some Peroxyl(the OTC brand-name version of 1:1 peroxide:water) does help disinfect... But it tastes horrid and I've never been able to gargle it without a fair amount of gagging after. Horrible horrible horrible--AND it foams as peroxide will--but I know it can keep you from getting sick if you've got a sore throat starting. It must clean some kind of bacteria out.   ***pats***   Hang in there...
jazzygirlnc
on 3/22/16 11:53 am
VSG on 04/14/16

I dont have a solution, bur I love readig your posts they are so down to earth !

Height: 5'9" // VSG: 4/14/2016

HW: 297# (while pregnant) // SW: 273.1# // CW: 187.8# //

GW: 145#

Lost thus far: 85.3# // Until Goal: 42.8#

Percent Excess Weight Loss: 66.5%

(deactivated member)
on 3/22/16 12:01 pm

Couple of things:

1. You probably are more sensitive to the smell than those around you. Often as a new post op our sense of smell is heightened. I know mine was. 
  2. Drink lots and lots of water to help with the ketosis breath. The water helps pass ketones and will help alleviate the smell and taste. 
  3. As your body adjusts the feeling of being odiferous will wane. For some it just takes a bit longer than others. You are only 8 weeks post op, so give it some time. 

You don't need to eat carbs. Just let your body run through its adjustment period and bear with it. It will pass. Now, go have a sugar free Altoid! 

JudithJohnson
on 3/22/16 4:46 pm
VSG on 12/03/15

Welcome to ketosis dear! It will pass, just drink buckets of water. I had the same thing and I was so self conscious but none of my family members smelled anything, so it wasn't as bad as I thought it was. Hang in there!

Judith, 46, surgery date  12/3/15

SW: 317 CW: 210 GW: 180

lxl_Miz_lxl
on 3/22/16 4:52 pm
VSG on 01/11/16

I haven't noticed body odor but I have invested in many tins of mentos now sf mints and have a tins everywhere lol, in my room, kitchen, car, purse

Steph Meat Hag
on 3/22/16 6:32 pm - Dallas , TX
VSG on 03/14/16 with

I had this happen preop.  Drink a lot of water, enjoy some breath mints when in close quarters with others.  I think some of this is keytosis but also all this whey protien.  I've noticed both #1 and #2 smell really weird. My DH did the preop with me and he to noticed the weird breath, and weird bathroom smells for himself.

In the end it's a great thing, just roll with it.

Age:40|Height: 5'9"|Lap Band 2/11/08 |Revision VSG 3/14/16

The cake is a lie, but Starbucks is not.

https://fivedaymeattest.com

Most Active