VSG and GERD

MammaKathy
on 4/2/16 5:20 pm

Did anyone have severe GERD (Indigestion) prior to your VSG? I know it is contraindicated sometimes for the VSG bc it can get worse with the VSG. I have pretty severe GERD, but really don't want the RNY.

Have anyone you had GERD pre VSG? How did you do? Would you still do the VSG vs RNY?

Thank you!

Kathy

Newchapter
on 4/2/16 5:57 pm
VSG on 03/23/16

I did and prior to the surgery it was awful!!  There wasn't enough medicine in the world to help on some days. For that alone, I was determined to get RNY. Upon my first appt with the surgeon, he recommended the sleeve, but told me if I was dead set on RNY, he would do it. After going home and given much thought to his reasons for recommending the sleeve, I decided to go with it. I mean I had always dealt with horrible GERD, so how much worse could it be?  I had my VSG a week ago on 3/23. It was two days after before I was allowed to start back on my medication but when I did, I was very shocked.  I can honestly say mine is sooooo much better.  I still take the same meds as before that offered little to know relief but now....I don't know if it's because my stomach is smaller or what, but it is definitely better. I shouldn't be speaking so highly cause I don't want to jinx myself, but I wanted to share my experience. 

MammaKathy
on 4/2/16 6:10 pm

Thanks for your input! That is encouraging. My doc did say that as I loose weight the GERD should get better. I still think VSG is a better idea, but just wondering what others experienced. :)

Darcy G.
on 4/2/16 6:35 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

I have GERD, which was classed as 'moderate' and I'm having the VSG. I've been a bit worried about it too, to be honest, but I also have an hiatal hernia which the surgeon will repair during my surgery, and which I'm told will make things better. Also losing weight will help. I'm going to remain optimistic. If surgeons who've been at this for ages think that it will be okay with the hernia repair, I'm trusting their opinions.

It doesn't hurt that I also really don't want RNY. I know it works great for a lot of people, but the number of down the road possible complications has scared me off the idea.

Is there an NP or someone at your surgeon's office who could talk you through it, give their past experiences, etc? Stuff they've seen, not just the kind of anecdotal often found online?

MammaKathy
on 4/2/16 6:52 pm

I am feeling the same way, Darcy. When is your surgery? I don't have a date yet, but probably late August or September.

Darcy G.
on 4/2/16 7:10 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Hah my surgery is Thursday morning, gotta be at the hospital at 5am.

I've done a year-long obstacle course to get here, but even at this late hour... I think it's just not knowing anything that drives me crazy, which is funny because I hate to make decisions and decide on one particular path to take usually. I'm one of those... seat-of-the-pants people.. but when it comes to health? I want to know every single thing before it even happens, and if I don't at least have a really good idea of how it will turn out, then I will stress about it and worry to the point of medication. (you know, if I had medication for that...)

happyteacher
on 4/2/16 7:39 pm

I had horrible Gerd. Hiatel hernai was fixed during vsg- no acid issues. 4 years later, a 2nd large hiatel hernia and tons of acid. had that fixed, but still dealing with acid issues. 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Darcy G.
on 4/3/16 2:35 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

That bites. Do they know what caused the hernia to return?

happyteacher
on 4/3/16 5:03 pm

Didn't ask. I do know that they can return on patients who did not have wls though.

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Darcy G.
on 4/3/16 5:33 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Good to know.

I watched a sleeve + hernia repair video on Youtube last night, so I'm guessing it was super not fun to have it repaired again... especially with the lack of material an unsleeved tummy would've had to offer. Hope there are no future recurrences for you.

Most Active