Feeling thirsty

deno
on 4/12/16 9:53 pm

Hi ladys and gentlemen,

The sergery went perfect a week ago. I feel good, i am walking a loot and i have no pain at all . Everythings looks great, but i feel my stomach is smaller then it should be . I am not able to drink more then 20 ounces of water all day, and I feel thirsty although I keep sipping all the time. Then is food time. I am not able to eat more then two ounces and i feel full and tight in my stomach. It takes all morning to drink the protein shake by sipping ... And I am not getting not more then 30% of thr protein i was asked.

In the other side, i feel very good and i still have a lot of anergy to walk and be active.

Although I couldn't take more then 5 spoons of soup for dinner, my main problem is still water. I am always feeling thirsty in need for more water ... But there is no space were to put it.

Is this something normal? Will it go away later?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

luvmypuggies
on 4/12/16 11:22 pm

Congrats on getting through surgery so well!  

Are you really allowed to eat food this early on?!  Most of us are on clear liquids for a while, then full liquids, then pureed food, soft food, etc., so it's several weeks before eating anything normal.  I know there are a few docs out there that have different programs, so maybe yours is one of them. Two ounces of anything remotely solid sounds like a massive amount for only one week out - that's more like "fully healed tummy" mode to me.

I assume you have a followup very soon with your doc so you can ask him/her, but my experience was to not worry so much about the overall protein goals so early on (still choke down a shake or two each day), but focus on liquids to avoid becoming dehydrated. It is difficult at first, but it should get easier over time.  Maybe try different temperatures of water - some people find that helpful.  I sometimes put a splash of apple juice in my water bottle for a little variety.  Also try sugar free popsicles and jello - they count as clear liquids.  It's a full-time job to sip all day long, so set a timer if you find that you forget to do it for a while.  Good luck!

deno
on 4/13/16 2:09 am, edited 4/12/16 7:19 pm

Thanks for your suggestions.

I started poured diet 2 days after the surgery, while i was still on hospital. I had only two liquid only days. From the food I eat i feel ok. No pain and no vomiting , just it looked to me very very little.

I did the surgery at University of Chicago Hospital, and their program is similar for all, and starts poured food right away for two weeks. After two weeks i can start eating normsl food (i have to meet the surgeon after two weeks and he confirms it 100%, but normaly I will start normsl food in two weeks)

hollykim
on 4/13/16 7:55 am, edited 4/13/16 12:59 am - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15

On April 13, 2016 at 4:53 AM Pacific Time, deno wrote:

Hi ladys and gentlemen,

The sergery went perfect a week ago. I feel good, i am walking a loot and i have no pain at all . Everythings looks great, but i feel my stomach is smaller then it should be . I am not able to drink more then 20 ounces of water all day, and I feel thirsty although I keep sipping all the time. Then is food time. I am not able to eat more then two ounces and i feel full and tight in my stomach. It takes all morning to drink the protein shake by sipping ... And I am not getting not more then 30% of thr protein i was asked.

In the other side, i feel very good and i still have a lot of anergy to walk and be active.

Although I couldn't take more then 5 spoons of soup for dinner, my main problem is still water. I am always feeling thirsty in need for more water ... But there is no space were to put it.

Is this something normal? Will it go away later?

Any thoughts?

Thanks

you should be able to drink all you want. Same with soup. The pyloric valve opens when liquids are present and they flow right on through.  Maybe you have convinced yourself that 20 oz is all you can do? I would start trying to drink more of a second bottle of water. It is time to pu**** if you have a more lenient post op diet, which you do.

you are getting dehydrated, being thirsty, so you need to hit it.

There could be some swelling still too. 

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/13/16 8:24 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You will NOT be able to count on a full 2oz of food a week out of surgery! Most folks can do 1oz, max, when they start eating soft foods. You cannot rely on feeling full yet, the nerves in your stomach are healing and eating until full is not a good idea. Too much, and you may rip your staple line open.

Most folks don't hit their protein goals in the first few weeks post-op because we can eat/drink so little. That's normal, even if you're doing nothing but shakes.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Most Active