Howdy all. Surgery 2/3/16 and feeling bummed after Doc appt this month.

Penny78213
on 4/12/16 10:22 pm - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 12/28/15

Had my surgery 2/3.  Feel great, learning a lot and lost 25 pounds by 4/3/16.  Dr. was disappointed it was not more weight.  He increased my exercise time hoping I will lose more by my appointment next month.  I have lost a total of 74 pounds in the last year.  I am wondering if my weight is coming off more slowly than others since I am 66 years old.  I was happy about my weight lost until I saw how disappointed he was...  am I doing something wrong or am I just slow?  I was told that what you weigh at a year out from surgery is probably all the weight you are going to lose. That kind of concerned me too.  What if I am not where I want to be by 2/3/17.

Thanks, Penny

luvmypuggies
on 4/12/16 11:02 pm

One important rule about all this is to try not to compare your weight loss to others.  There are so many different bodies with different starting points and various factors that change the individual rates.  Having said that, I will tell you that I only lost 21 the first two months, but I was a "lightweight" to begin with so I dropped pounds more slowly than most.  In my experience, diet has much more of an effect on weight loss than exercise, but I'm sure that also varies by person. I guess the main question would be what your pre-surgery weight was, and what you are eating (calories, protein, carbs).  If you feel like sharing that, the folks on this board will probably share lots of suggestions.  Also, check the daily "what are you eating today" posts for examples of what others are doing. 

Hang in there - I think you're doing just great!! 

Penny78213
on 4/13/16 12:41 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 12/28/15

I don't mind sharing the info.  My high weight was 263.  My pre-surgery weight was 214.  My current weight is 188.9.  I have a premier protein drink for breakfast.  Lunch is usually a 2.6 oz foil pack of tuna with a few pickles.  Supper is usually 2 to 3 oz fish, chicken or beef (or bacon because I am able to taste it).  We are eating more fish and chicken since I seen to not like beef since the surgery.  I also have a can of tomato soup a day (or cauliflower or broccoli) and one sugar free popsicle for a treat.  I chew tons of gum as I had to quick smoking to have the surgery and still grave cigs. 

happyteacher
on 4/13/16 5:03 am

How tall are you?

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Penny78213
on 4/13/16 9:23 am - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 12/28/15

I am 5'2.

happyteacher
on 4/13/16 10:28 am

Ok, so I am going to assume your goal is a "normal" bmi- Please know that bmi does not "fit' everyone, but I want to show you the EWL thing. At 5'2'' your upper limit is 137. You posted you are at 214 on surgery day. So 214-137=77 pounds. You are light weight status for sure!!!  Now, 21 divided by 77 = .272 or 27% of your EWL.  I think your 27% is doing quite well given your age and given our lightweights lose a little slower. Just keep your great eating plan going, it seems you are right on target. If you can increase your exericise than go for it, because it just helps make everything easier! 

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

happyteacher
on 4/13/16 10:30 am

Oops, just saw you lost 25 pounds, not 21. Even better! Your ewl loss is 34%!!  My ewl % at month two was 35%, so you are rocking it out given your lightweight status!!! 

Penny78213
on 4/13/16 7:59 pm - San Antonio, TX
VSG on 12/28/15

Thank you so much for the info and the encouragement! 

luvmypuggies
on 4/13/16 10:19 am

You sound a lot like me - similar surgery weight, in my fifties, and I also lost my taste for beef. I think your surgeon is being a "poopy-head" as my kids used to say when they were little. :)  After the initial month, I lost 5-6 pounds a month on average, which was really depressing when comparing to some folks who were losing way more.  However, slow and steady was the key for me, so I eventually quit comparing and just kept chugging along until I was happy with my weight. I'm 5'7" and got down to 145 (regained 10 so back on the bandwagon to lose it again).

My main suggestion would be to track your food on myfitnesspal (or similar) instead of winging it. It's too easy to get too many calories.  Your food intake sounds perfect to me though, so if you stick with it, I'm sure you'll be successful.  And, to repeat what achbrown(?) said in her reply, there is no magic moment at one year after which you can't lose weight - it gets harder over time as you get smaller, but it's definitely possible.

One more note that you may relate to since we're in the older crowd: I've exercised at home M-F since surgery (over 2 years), but I don't do it for weight loss - I do it for health, fitness, and preserving mobility and strength as I get older, which motivates me more than the calorie burn (which never seems to help much for me) so I'm able to stick with it when I never was before.  Brisk walking on my treadmill, followed by various weight-bearing things (planks, push-ups, sit-ups, weight-lifting with dumbbells, squats, etc.).  I want to be a buff grandma by the time my kids have babies!

OnTheFence16
on 8/6/16 3:50 pm

Hi Penny, Im Sherry and Im brand new to this site. I am wanting to have surgery and have a TON of questions!!!!Do you mind?

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 58 views