VITAMINS?!?

BeautifulMe84
on 4/14/16 6:58 am
VSG on 03/10/16

HEY everyone!

I am so confused on which vitamins are very good for me and my new sleeve. I just finished a bottle of bariatric vitamins that were huge chewables and made me gag sometimes vomit every time I took them. I just went and bought myself the Flintstones complete chewables but I am not sure if that is the best choice for me. My husband who also had the sleeve done takes Centrum complete pills. I am just afraid to take pills right now being that I am only 5 weeks post-op. Any suggestions on vitamins that are very good and also somewhat tasty? Thanks in advance. 

Tink3125
on 4/14/16 7:18 am
VSG on 12/01/15

I did the vitamin patches. No worries about swallowing pills!

thallnc
on 4/14/16 7:58 am - NC
VSG on 02/18/15

My surgeon had me do the Flintstones vitamins for the first 30 days after my surgery and then I was given the all clear to do Centrum or One A Day (along with all my other vitamins - Calcium chews, Vitamin D, Sublingual B12, Magnesium, Iron). I would just make sure to take them one at a time. The Flintstones don't have everything you need going forward. Talk to your surgeon's office and see what is on their plan.

Height: 5'5" HW: 278.2; SW: 268.2; CW: 175.6

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/14/16 8:12 am
RNY on 08/05/19

I skipped the chewables, especially since Flintstones don't have what we need to sustain us long term.

I take something similar to Centrum-- I went to the drugstore and found something with 100% of every vitamin and mineral. I couldn't swallow something so big for a bit post-op, so I got a pill splitter and broke them up into 2 or 3 pieces, taking each with a sip of water a few minutes apart.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

emelar
on 4/14/16 8:17 am - TX

You should be fine taking pills at 5 weeks, but confirm with your doc.  If for some reason you can't manage pills, I think the patchmd multivitamin is your best bet.  Flintstones, not so much.

G3andBsMOM
on 4/14/16 8:21 am

I use the chews from GNC.  I have the calcium and the womens daily they are the best.

seabexlose
on 4/14/16 9:15 am
VSG on 04/12/16 with

My surgeon has me off vitamins until week 5 post-op, and then I have to take the bariatric advantage ones for 6 months, because then they know exactly what my intake is...or because that's the stuff they peddle from their office, lol.

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/14/16 11:26 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

I'm guessing you had the Bariatric Advantage chewables?  They are HORRIBLE.  My surgeon's office forced us to buy and use them after surgery.  They were vile, chalky and made me want to gag.

I switched to Celebrate chewables in Grape or Mandarin Orange, and still take them now.

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

Maria27
on 4/14/16 11:39 am - Chicago, IL
RNY on 03/17/15

Centrum also sells chewable vitamins. The orange are good, but avoid the mint ones at all costs because the are severely lacking. I order them from Amazon, but I have also seen them at Target.

Height: 5'5" HW: 290 Consultation Weight: 276 SW: 257 CW: 132

Stacey_C
on 4/14/16 12:38 pm
VSG on 04/25/16

My surgeon's office has recently started recommending the OPURITY brand of bariatric vitamin.  It is essentially the same as the bariatric advantage chewables but it is already crushed and in a gel-cap capsule that dissolves.  It also contains iron so it is one less extra bottle of vitamins to buy and pill to take. I will have surgery on a Monday and start taking the vitamins on the following Thuraday. They recommend four of these a day, 2 in the morning and 2 at night, a sublingual b-12 every other day and 3 of the calcium chews with vitamin d daily for the first six months.  After that they are okay with an over the counter once a day vitamin as long as it contains everything they require and we are encouraged to gradually decrease the calcium chews as we are able to reach that amount through food to reduce risk of forming kidney stones if used long term.  B-12 will be for life and of course these recommendations could change pending any deficiencies that show up in post up bloodwork.

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 55 views