NSV and my stupid brain

alouisa63
on 4/26/16 6:06 pm - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

So the women I went hiking with wanted to go bike riding on local trails.  I sorta stayed out of the conversation because in my still fat mind, I see myself as too fat to ride a bike (the visual image I have of me is having a hard time catching up to the actual me - damn brain!).  After a few conversations I quietly started looking at bikes online and in stores (does Walmart count?) but didn't say anything.  Another bike conversation came up and one woman posted a link to the bike she bought from Costco and I really liked it!  I checked out the specs on it and couldn't find the information I wanted....so I looked up the company and live chatted them.

Me:  "Can you tell me the weight limit on the Vital 2?"

Them:"300 pounds"

GASP!!  I just found out I'm not too fat to ride a bike anymore!  So I ordered it this morning:) After all, I climbed an F'ing mountain, I can ride a bike, right??  Even though the only bike I've been on in over 30 years is stationary and in a gym.... I got this :)

Also- while at Costco tonight, I sat in folding chairs not fearing I would break them! Such an odd and yet liberating thing to do, something so normal and not fear being embarrassed.

Starting Weight 375  SW 375 Height 5'9" 

Darcy G.
on 4/26/16 6:34 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Yay bike riding!! I'm so looking forward to that! 

Hit those pedals, Chiquita Bonita! 

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 4/27/16 5:27 am, edited 4/26/16 10:27 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Go on with your bad self darlin! You'll do fine, just be cautious at first since its been a while on two wheels :) Bikes are strong pieces of equipment. I used to ride my road bike at 345lbs... And thats on those super skinny small wheels! I was CERTAIN the wheels would bend in half once I got on... but the sales guy at the store insisted they wouldnt lol

Have a blast! Cycling is a great way to get exercise. I would suggest taking your bike to a bike shop and have them fit you to it, it will make it more comfortable and enjoyable to ride. I can also give you some info on how it should be setup if you'd like

In fact, I'll just do it anyway since its not a lot! When you are fully riding and sitting on the bike, on your most extended part of your peddle (leg  in a straight down position) you want your leg to have a slight bend in it, you do NOT want the knee fully extended). You also dont want a large angle in your knee at the furthest position. Take a quick spin, see how you were sitting, then adjust and repeat. Handle bars should be high/low enough to have a slight bend in elbows, as well. 

Otherwise you'll be putting stress on your joints that you shouldnt be :D

Dont forget your helmet and water bottle! :)

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

alouisa63
on 4/27/16 7:07 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

A guy I work with is an avid cyclist and gave me the name of a shop near the office.  For a small fee they'll assemble it and make sure I fit the bike   The helmet is a given, since I plan on riding on main roads... even though I'll end up with helmet hair.....

SilverGirl2015
on 4/27/16 8:11 am

Bike riding has been on my mind lately too - but I have the same issues holding me back. Thanks for posting this! 

alouisa63
on 4/27/16 9:28 am - Farmington Hills, MI
VSG on 07/30/15

It's so hard to push yourself out of your old mindset.  The bike I got is a Diamondback Vital 2. I loved that it has a step through frame and I can sit upright and there are shocks on the front forks and the seat post.  I could have gotten a less expensive model but... anything I saw, i wasn't sold on.

Most Active