confused about eating

judeloren
on 4/27/16 7:44 am

Hello first off I am 4 weeks out from surgery. I see a dietician in a couple more weeks. I figured i would ask you though before then. When i saw the dietician before surgery she said have to get a lot of protein first then if room anything else.  She also said still just eat 3 meals a day.  I wonder if i am doing this wrong. I eat a few bites get full and stop. i do that 3 times a day. i am no where near my protein goals and only getting about 300 calories a day. Should i be measuring out the protein and then taking as long as i need to to eat it all? Is there a calorie goal people recommend also? Thanks

White Dove
on 4/27/16 8:26 am - Warren, OH

It took me three or four months to eat more than a few spoons of food.  I got my protein from shakes.  I still do six meals a day and maintain on about 1200 calories a day. 

If you don't eat enough calories, your body will burn stored fat to use for nourishment.  You will be able to eat more as your sleeve heals and as it grows bigger.  Your weight will come off quickly while you are taking in so few calories.

Real life begins where your comfort zone ends

Starry Eyed
on 4/27/16 8:26 am
VSG on 04/20/16

Hey there!  I would call or email your dietitian, there is no harm in asking.  I am one week out and everything takes me a long time to get down.  I start the day with 8oz of milk mixed with protein powder and it takes me a full 2 hours to fini**** but it has 34g protein in it so I think its worth taking the time to sip slowly.  So, give your nut a call for an answer today and then you can discuss it in more detail at your appt.  Have a great day!

High Weight: 307 Start Weight: 297 (11/5/15) Surgery Weight: 278 (4/20/16) Pre-Op: (-19) M1: (-24) M2: (-8) M3: (-10) M4: (-9) M5: (-7) M6: (-6) M7: (-7) M8: (-5) M9: (-4) M10: (-3) M11: (-5) CW: 185

"Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations."

Lemily
on 4/27/16 9:33 am
VSG on 01/16/14

Im surprised you haven't seen the nutritionist yet. Did they send you to one before hand? Did they give you a post op plan?

For the first year always go for protein first. It teaches you mentally how to start eating. You are still healing. Each of my meals at 4 weeks may have been 1/2 of a greek yogurt which took me 1/2 hour to eat and then I was full until lunch, or like 2 oz tuna/egg salad which again took me half hour to eat.

As you heal, you should be able to take more in. For instance im a little over 2 years out and this is my day (much different than at 4 weeks)

1 scoop isopure zero carb mixed with coffee NOT any type of milk.

Breakfast: 2 eggs and 1 piece of turkey sausage with a sprinkle of shredded cheese ( I would typically have 3 turkey sausage links but my kid didn't want to eat this luxurious breakfast I made for her before school LOL - and I was starving b/c I did 45 minutes weight lifting class before work).

Lunch - 4 ounces chicken breast and 1/3 of a bag of fresh express salad blend which is about 2 ounces. - this should keep me full until at least 3:30 ish

Snack (around 3:30) - should be dannon light and fit greek yogurt

Dinner - something around 150-200 calories of lean protein and veg.

I try to get in at least 75g of protein per day (where 25g comes from my morning shake), 100oz of water.

judeloren
on 4/27/16 11:25 am

they gave me a list of what types of foods i should eat i am just wondering if i should make that amount suggested and keep eating over time till gone.. vs i have been taking a few bites then stopping and leaving the rest.

-Flo-
on 4/27/16 12:09 pm
DS on 04/11/16

I was taught that a meal should take 30 minutes. If you don't finish the food in 30 mins, pack it up and save it for later. 

emelar
on 4/27/16 12:17 pm - TX

Protein shakes.  They count as liquid as well as protein.  Use them as a meal or drink them between meals.  It's way too hard to try to hit your protein goals for the first few weeks or months without the protein drinks.

As far as real food is concerned, eat what you're able to, then put it away until your next meal.  Believe it or not, this phase passes and you'll get back to feeling a little more normal about how and what to eat.

Most Active