Help...Menus & Exercise

BeautifulMe84
on 4/29/16 5:48 am
VSG on 03/10/16

So I need some help with what people are eating about 2 months out from VSG. Also how much exercise (how long-what type?) is everyone doing in the weight loss phase of their journey? I am almost 2 months out and ONLY lost 14 pounds since my surgery day. I'm thinking I probably am not eating enough? Not sure. If you all can give me an idea of what your meals look like in a day for 2 months out I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 4/29/16 8:17 am
RNY on 08/05/19

Very often with slow loss, the opposite true-- people are eating too much.

Most folks here tend to shoot for 600 - 800 cal, 60 - 80+ g protein, < 40 carbs. Weigh and measure and log EVERYTHING to make sure you're being precise, it's very easy to underestimate. Check the daily "what are you eating" threads for ideas.

Also worth remembering, if you have a lower starting weight, you'll lose more slowly than others with a higher BMI.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

mauracg
on 4/29/16 8:25 am
VSG on 03/16/16

I had my VSG surgery March 16th.   What I have been eating in a day:

Breakfast: Premier Protein Shake

Snack: 2 oz of deli turkey and one string cheese

Lunch: 3 turkey meatballs

Snack: 5 oz of yogurt - high protein (15 g) lower sugar (11g****landic skyyr-style yogurt (Siggi's)

Dinner: Usually a few ounces of chicken or whatever protein I make my family for dinner

I usually don't eat after dinner, but occasionally I've had one very small piece of dark chocolate as a treat.

My weight the day of surgery was 249.  As of today I weigh 222. 

Hope this helps!

Olive328
on 4/29/16 5:00 pm
VSG on 04/05/16

Hello. How are you able to eat all this only 2 months out? Did your doc say this is okay? I know every doc is different, but my doc told me today you should at least lose 10% of your weight your first month alone and that 5oz in one sitting is way too much this early on (I had bought these single serve 5oz cottage cheeses) and she told me no way I should eat that much and we aren't allowed "snacks"

mauracg
on 4/30/16 8:56 am
VSG on 03/16/16

I am actually only 6 weeks out.  My nutritionist okayed my diet.  I could never eat 5 oz of dense protein, but yogurt (I think because it is not a true solid) goes down fine.  I eat between 600-800 calories each day (usually closer to 600), stay below 40 g of carbs, and eat 60-80 g of protein.  Also, I was told to eat every 3 hours.  I lost 19 pounds my first month, which is below 10%, but I had a two week long stall. Now that the stall is over, I am now down 28 overall.  The nutritionist told me to expect to lose 3-5 pounds a week at this point, so I think I'm doing fine. If I stop losing weight, I'll reevaluate and adapt as necessary.  I think every doctor/nutritionist is different and their recommendations vary.

Bufflehead
on 4/29/16 8:38 am - TN
VSG on 06/19/13

I am well beyond 2 months post-op, but via the magic of MyFitnessPal, I went back in time and looked up my food & exercise diary for 2 months after my surgery date.

Breakfast: 1/4 c. refried beans + 1/2 link spicy chicken sausage + 1 T. shredded cheese

Lunch: 1/2 packet sweet & spicy tuna + 1 T. guacamole + 2 prunes

Dinner: 1.5 oz turkey burger + 2 T. baba ghanouj + 1 T. shredded cheese

Snacks: 2 protein shakes

Totals for the day: 703 calories, 51 carbs, 83 grams protein*

*includes calories & carbs from vitamins as well

Everything was weighed down to the gram or measured carefully.

Exercise: 30 minutes of low impact aerobics. Disclaimer here, I don't think exercise helps weight loss at all, but it is good for overall health.

Neesie57
on 4/29/16 9:59 am
VSG on 08/04/15

I don't exactly remember what I was eating at that time, but I have been eating between 600-700 calories each day since I started on soft foods two weeks after surgery.  I am less than 10 pounds from goal, and am still eating 600-700 calories, less than 40 grams of carbs and 60+ grams of protein.  

Weigh and measure everything, and keep track of everything you eat.  I use MyFitnessPal, and it has been a wonderful way to make sure I'm on track.  

My husband and I walk and/or hike everyday, and I try to get at least 12,000 steps in.  I need to add in weights, but I've been slow to do that.  

5' 5" tall. VSG on August 4, 2015/ Starting weight 239.9/ Surgery weight 210.9/ Current weight 137.4/ Goal weight 140/ No longer overweight, now a NORMAL weight. Now that I'm at goal, it's time to move on to maintenance!!!!!!!!

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 4/29/16 11:44 am - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Every day on both the VSG and RNY forums, there is a thread about what people are eating.   If you've missed them, here they are:

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/vsg/6004889/What-is-everyo ne-eating-today/

http://www.obesityhelp.com/forums/rny/6004922/Whats-on-Your- photo-Friday-Menu-RNYers/

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

hollykim
on 4/29/16 12:29 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On April 29, 2016 at 12:48 PM Pacific Time, BeautifulMe84 wrote:

So I need some help with what people are eating about 2 months out from VSG. Also how much exercise (how long-what type?) is everyone doing in the weight loss phase of their journey? I am almost 2 months out and ONLY lost 14 pounds since my surgery day. I'm thinking I probably am not eating enough? Not sure. If you all can give me an idea of what your meals look like in a day for 2 months out I would appreciate it. Thank you in advance.

what are you eating?

Most Active