Hunger pains 1 week post-op?

Anne85
on 5/11/16 3:19 pm

It's now been 1 week since I've been sleeved. So far I've been doing pretty well pain-wise. But today I have been having what feels like intense hunger pains. I woke up feeling worse than I did yesterday and have have felt like I'm starving on and off this afternoon. 

Is is it possible that I'm having actual hunger pains? I thought you didn't feel hunger after the sleeve? Maybe it's just acid or gas, or that I'm thirsty... I'm still on an all-liquid diet. Anyone relate to this? 

Anne85
on 5/11/16 3:21 pm

Also, my stomach has been gurgling and growling quite a bit!

KansasPrincess
on 5/11/16 3:29 pm - Gardner, KS
VSG on 10/15/15

oh your stomach will make loud loud noises. I'm 7 months out from VSG and it still talks to me... my bf says it hates me... but it could be acid. ive heard that acid in the belly could cause you to feel hungry.

Darcy G.
on 5/11/16 4:39 pm, edited 5/11/16 9:38 am
VSG on 04/07/16

How are you doing with your protein? My center told me I could have them when I was doing really poorly with my protein, and we'd reevaluate if it was acid after I actually started getting some protein in. 

It might've helped. I haven't felt iit since I started getting about 45g in, but we also split my 1x a day 40 mg omeprazole iinto two 20mg doses at 12hrs a day into my new protein victories... So it could be either one.

No help at all, am I? (Unless you're getting good protein already... Then maybe a little.)

Oh, and Rupert(my tummy) is loud and obnoxious all the time now too. But there is a distinct difference in the normal-Rupert-noises and FEED-ME-SEYMOUR growls, the latter for me are very unpleasant.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Anne85
on 5/11/16 5:25 pm

Per my diet plan I'm getting about 60 g of protein in a day through shakes. I already take nexium but I'll talk to my doc about adjusting the dose! I think it's funny that you named your stomach Rupert. I named mine Banana, or Bina for short. That may change lol. Thanks for your input! 

GeekMonster, Insolent Hag
on 5/11/16 5:44 pm - CA
VSG on 12/19/13

Did your doctor prescribe a PPI?  It's very unlikely that it is hunger pangs.  Stomach acid can mimic the feeling of hunger, and if you're hearing gurgling, it's most likely the culprit.

If you're not taking a PPI, call your doctor and ask for a prescription 

"Oderint Dum Metuant"    Discover the joys of the Five Day Meat Test!

Height:  5'-7"  HW: 449  SW: 392  GW: 179  CW: 220

katblue
on 5/11/16 7:58 pm
VSG on 04/06/16

I had my surgery ~5 weeks ago - and I did get hunger pangs - esp in the first 2-3 weeks.  I felt alone when I read so many state that they don't feel hungry.  It helped when I began each new stage of my diet - when you're just having liquids - they are simply not as filling.  

I have heard some talk about reflux being an issue and giving the same sensation - but that hasn't been my experience. It could also be that you are thirsty.  I know that sounds difficult to confuse hunger and thirst signals but during the months leading up to surgery I asked my nutritionist why I sometimes get hungry when I KNOW I have food in my belly - I told her I have gotten hunger pangs half an hour after eating.  She said my body was likely confusing hunger and thirst. I guess that's why they always say drink water and then if you're still hungry half an hour later, then eat.  

As someone else stated, make sure you are getting protein and when you do get to begin on foods - be careful with carbs - they will stimulate your appetite.  I have noticed that most of the successful people on this site keep carbs below 50ish.  (My nut hadn't given me any parameters on carbs but said it is okay if I keep them very low).  I want to mimic behaviors that have worked for others.  Now, I do drink/sip water and I'm re-learning how to listen to my body's signals - and I'm paying closer attention this time so I don't end up back where I was....

5'7"  Start Wt 268.5 / VSG SURGERY 4/6/16 249.5 / CW 192

/ GOAL 158

M1-24  M2-9  M3-11.9 M4 - in progress

Ray R.
on 5/11/16 8:00 pm - Paterson, NJ

on my 6-7 day my struggle was really bad because all I wanted was food and realized it was mostly my head because as per my instructions i'm on clear for 2 weeks. I wanted everything that I  wanted everything that I shouldn't have and had big time buyer's remorse. However, I realized it was not physical, it was really mental, because really thinking about, and really listening to my body, I wasn't hungry. When I drank water and my clear protein  , I physically wasn't hungry but my head wanted to make me feel hungry. just a thought-I don't (knock on wood hard GERD issues, even though i had with the lap band so I can't comment on that aspect). Nevertheless by day 8, it got better because I saw the end goal

Sparklekitty, Science-Loving Derby Hag
on 5/12/16 7:48 am
RNY on 08/05/19

You've had major surgery and your guts have been rearranged. It's going to hurt! Doesn't mean it's hunger, though.

I second the mention of an acid reducer. That can mimic hunger, so it's good to be on it.

You may also be dealing with "head hunger" at a week out without any solid food. Many (but not all) people don't feel PHYSICAL hunger, but the emotional side may still be there.

Drink drink drink. Even if you're on all liquids, sip water or tea or whatever all day long, that should help.

Sparklekitty / Julie / Nerdy Little Secret (#42)
Roller derby - cycling - triathlon
VSG 2013, RNY conversion 2019 due to GERD. Trendweight here!

Newbie2016
on 5/13/16 9:25 pm
VSG on 05/11/16

I'm week one post op, and I own a restaurant.  Lol smh. I am full of vitamins proteins and fluids so I shouldn't be hungry. But it's definitely hard on the mental level for me. Guess I'll keep sippin. 

Age 38, Pre Op Weight 244, Surgery Weight 230, Goal 165

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 41 views