How soon do you have to worry about smaller clothes?

ejirish
on 5/16/16 10:21 am

I'm getting sleeved May 23rd... I'm not trying to get too ahead of myself, but I dont have too much inventory... I was thinking of getting a couple of long skirts in smaller sizes but with a waist band to adjust or something... I work for a "biz casual" company, so luckily I dont have to get too dressed up. 

How did everyone handle the job-clothes situation?

shery11ynn
on 5/16/16 10:44 am

I haunt the local Goodwill/Salvation Army stores. I normally will buy things that are too tight for me. Plus sizes are hard to come by in these stores, however, which is why I go so often. I've found some really nice stuff here, it's not all junk! I am not sure that, even when I level off and am not changing sizes every other week, I'll stop shopping there! I do love a bargain. :)

Age:  57 | Height: 5' 4" | Starting Sept 2015: 312 | VSG 12/18/15 with Dr. William O'Malley | Current 173 | Goal: 150

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/16/16 11:40 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Thats a great question. Fortunately, I had lost a good amount of weight for my wedding two years ago. Since then I've gained back to where I am and held onto all the clothes on the journey. I'm stocked to around 235lbs body weight ;) Got some jeans... Shirts... Boxers (under armour) are elastic and should last me a bit.

One of the things I keep talking with my wife about is how excited I am to get to goal and shop for clothes. Actually have some style... Cant stop looking at those online companies where you put in your measurements and htey send you outfits lol

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

SilverGirl2015
on 5/16/16 3:38 pm

I was able to make do for a long time - lets face it most of us have a range of big sizes in our wardrobes - but at this point 9 1/2 monthes out I am on a buying binge! But  looking for bargains because Im still losing.  This is the fun part of the journey!

Kris R.
on 5/16/16 11:44 am - Walworth, NY

I'm still wearing my old clothes and yes, I have a friend who yells at me but too bad.  I can't swing new clothes right now and then again in another month ect... so, I bought a belt.  and it just keeps getting smaller and smaller.  my office is biz casual so I'm all set with my baggy dockers and oversized shirts.  my bra's . i take a pony tail holder and tie the back together so the straps don't slide down.  It's not perfect, but then again, neither am I.  Good luck.

You can't take care of them, if you don't take care of you!!
Band 10/2006, removal 10/2010, VSG 02/08/2016

Gwen M.
on 5/16/16 12:38 pm
VSG on 03/13/14

I switched the elastic waist skirts and then to wrap skirts.  Great decision since finding pants that fit was a HUGE pain in the butt.  Still is.  Weird body :/  I think I didn't need new stuff until I'd lost 40-50 pounds.

VSG with Dr. Salameh - 3/13/2014
Diagnosed with Binge Eating Disorder and started Vyvanse - 7/22/2016
Reconstructive Surgeries with Dr. Michaels - 6/5/2017 (LBL & brachioplasty), 8/14/2017 (UBL & mastopexy), 11/6/2017 (medial leg lift)

Age 42 Height 5'4" HW 319 (1/3/2014) SW 293 (3/13/2014) CW 149 (7/16/2017)
Next Goal 145 - normal BMI | Total Weight Lost 170

TrendWeight | Food Blog (sort of functional) | Journal (down for maintenance)

seabexlose
on 5/16/16 12:51 pm
VSG on 04/12/16 with

I'm 5 weeks out from surgery, and 7 weeks since starting the weight loss for pre-op.  I'm down a little over 50 pounds.  It's just now starting to become an issue for me.  A lot of my clothes had gotten tight, so I have a few things that now just fit normally, and the most recent things I purchased at my heaviest are now too big to wear.  My support group is having a clothing exchange on Thursday and I'm hoping to pick up a pair of jeans and a pair of work pants.  I think my tops will be fine for awhile. After that, will probably search thrift shops or my Buy Nothing group until I reach goal.

happyteacher
on 5/16/16 2:49 pm

I think I lost nearly 50 pounds before I needed to go down a size, but I am super tall. I couldn't do Goodwill given I need tall lengths, so I had great luck stalking the clearance items from Old Navy and jcp.com. I could spend $200 and completely replace my work wardrobe (teacher clothes). I replaced my wardrobe 6 times. Good thing I enjoy shopping!

Surgeon: Chengelis  Surgery on 12/19/2011  A little less carb eating compared to my weight loss phase loose sleever here!

1Mo: -21  2Mo: -16  3Mo: -12  4MO - 13  5MO: -11 6MO: -10 7MO: -10.3 8MO: -6  Goal in 8 months 4 days!!   6' 2''  EWL 103%  Starting size 28 or 4x (tight) now size 12 or large, shoe size 12 w to 10.5   150+ pounds lost  

Join the Instant Pot Pressure Cooker group for recipes and tips! Click here to join!

Laura in Texas
on 5/16/16 5:43 pm

Goodwill. I like pants so I bought slacks without pockets so I could easily sew up the sides to take them in. I wore belts and drilled new holes in them as they got too big. JCPenney has great clothes on clearance online. 

Laura in Texas

53 years old; 5'7" tall; HW: 339 (BMI=53); GW: 140 CW: 170 (BMI=27)

RNY: 09-17-08 Dr. Garth Davis

brachioplasty: 12-18-09 Dr. Wainwright; lbl/bl: 06-28-11 Dr. LoMonaco

"May your choices reflect your hopes and not your fears."

Darcy G.
on 5/16/16 5:44 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

My clothes are pretty much hanging on me. I have one pair of jeans I can wear, but they're supposed to be tight, and they're SO baggy. They just don't fall off yet. Most of my shirts end up gaping at the neckline and heading toward my shoulder. I basically have one pair of pants that look good and one sweater that looks good. Everything else hangs on me. I'm still waiting to hit stores, but it's getting harder!

I was asking about this a few months ago and someone suggested the clothing services like GwynnieBee, and that looks like a decent choice for when we're burning through clothes and need something professional that FITS.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Most Active