Carbs vs Sugars

Darcy G.
on 5/19/16 11:51 am
VSG on 04/07/16

This might a stupid question, but MFP is confusing me...

My Dr wants me at 50g carbs or less per day. OK, cool, I set my goals in MFP to 50g carbs per day. I didn't modify sugars... But below the 50g of carbohydrates, it says my daily goal iis 64g Sugars.

64g Sugars... Wouldn't that be 64g Carbohydrates? How can I do 50g carbs and 64g Sugars(not that I'm going to aim to increase my sugars to that level, but I can't believe this is correct. And I kinda want to e-mail MFP and tell them if it's a bug.

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/19/16 12:31 pm, edited 5/19/16 5:31 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Cant you overwrite it by putting in a custom maco list? I think it will flag for not enough daily nutrition, etc but still

Carbs are sugars, but "sugars arent carbs" in that say a tsp of sugar is different than a bagel, you know? I'm not sure how to word it, but I imagine that isnt the best way. Not sure how else lol

I think you should be able to erase that number. Or just ignore it

Blog: www.thickto.fit

YouTube: Click Here!

Instagram: ThickTo.Fit

Heaviest Weight: 345 | SW: 315 | CW: 175 | GW: ~180

Darcy G.
on 5/19/16 12:35 pm
VSG on 04/07/16

Sugars aren't carbs, really? I really thought they were, but not all carbs are sugars.

I will ignore it, but I think I need to do more reading if this isn't wrong. 

A single number and I'm questioning everything!

Program Start Weight 346 | Surgery Weight 282 | CW 217 | 5'-6.3"

High Weight 376, about a year before program. I gave up diet pop(and all pop), dropped 30 pounds without trying, and kept it off. Now convinced Carbonated Beverages. Are. Evil.

DISCLAIMER: My posts often have weird typos... Because I use a tablet or Kindle to access the forums despite how much I suck at tablet typing. Apologies!

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/19/16 12:36 pm - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

No, they are. I'm just trying to make the example that theyre not the same, but they both end up sugar to your body. A carb would be something like bread, chips, pretzel, dough, etc or even vegetables like corn, potato, legumes, etc. Sugar is just that -- sugar 

hollykim
on 5/20/16 12:36 pm - Nashville, TN
Revision on 03/18/15
On May 19, 2016 at 7:35 PM Pacific Time, Darcy G. wrote:

Sugars aren't carbs, really? I really thought they were, but not all carbs are sugars.

I will ignore it, but I think I need to do more reading if this isn't wrong. 

A single number and I'm questioning everything!

sugars ARE carbs , the simplest form, so they start getting into your blood stream as soon as they hit your mouth, where digestion starts. 

Complex carbs like beans n sweet potato take a little more processing but eventually turn into sugar. Fruit is pure sugar carb from the get go. Any white flour products also turn into  sugar. 

Tp say all carbsare e not sugar, and, then is technically incorrect as they all turn to sugar eventually. 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 5:41 am
On May 19, 2016 at 7:31 PM Pacific Time, ChrisTufano wrote:

Cant you overwrite it by putting in a custom maco list? I think it will flag for not enough daily nutrition, etc but still

Carbs are sugars, but "sugars arent carbs" in that say a tsp of sugar is different than a bagel, you know? I'm not sure how to word it, but I imagine that isnt the best way. Not sure how else lol

I think you should be able to erase that number. Or just ignore it

Chris. Please do more research. 

Sugars are carbs. Not all carbs are sugars. But ALL sugars are carbs.  Even SA are carbs.  ALL of them.

Some carbs can turn to sugars faster than others. The sugars are the problem. Some carbs may not affect BS levels very much for some people. 

Hala. RNY 5/14/2008; Happy At Goal =HAG

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/20/16 6:09 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Just did :)

For the not all carbs are sugars part:

The glycemic index measures how much a particular carbohydrate-containing food increases blood-glucose levels or how quickly carbohydrates are turned into sugar. Foods with a low glycemic index are more slowly digested, so they don't cause large spikes in blood sugar levels.

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 6:18 am, edited 5/19/16 11:24 pm

All of the studies ...are just that. And for normal people. Healthy not MO people and not WLS person. And not every person. It is statistical studies.  

The digestion and conversion to BS part also depends on the person individual gut, the gut bacteria, the yeast-Candida in the gut...etc etc etc...

Just because they call them "Slow carbs" - it really does not matter for an individual. 

The Only way to know for sure how that food affects YOUR blood sugar on that particular day is to measure you blood sugar after you eat that food.  And what you eat with it, before it - may affect how your body would decide to process it that day, hour and minute. 

I am talking from experiance and reasearch ... Lots and lots of research ...and experience with fluctuation BS with no apparent reason for it... 

"I can eat or do anything I want to - as long as I am willing to deal with the consequences"

"Failure is not falling down, It is not getting up once you fell... So pick yourself up, dust yourself off, and start all over again...."

Chris "Thick-to-Fit" T.
on 5/20/16 8:05 am - FL
VSG on 05/26/16

Ok. I mean, all your research should show that our bodies (WLS, normal, SMO, normal, etc) all convert carbohydrates into glucose (sugar). 

H.A.L.A B.
on 5/20/16 8:23 am

and again ... you don't know what you are talking about...  ugh..please Chris  - stop making up stuff... research...

"Unlike glucose, which is metabolized widely in the body, fructose is metabolized almost completely in the liver in humans, where it is directed toward replenishment of liver glycogen and triglyceride synthesis. Under one percent of ingested fructose is directly converted to plasma triglyceride."

some fructose can be converted to glucose.. depends of the person and their body chemistry...(very complicated)

SA - is another carbs that may be metabolized... may be...

Another carbs is fiber. that may be partially digested - or not... depends on a person.. and the fiber.. not all fibers are the same...

and so on....

Most Active
Expired Optifast Question
Freewheeler · 2 replies · 45 views