Confused about different grades of protein powders

Kathleen14
on 5/27/16 2:25 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

5 weeks out and have tried many different protein powders but as I learn more it seems there are very different quality grades out there and almost everyone exclaiming to have the highest. The thick milky ones are making me sick and increasingly lactose intolerant though a Lactaid usually helps. A recent post today had recommendations of Syntrax Nectar. Looked it up and they have several other varieties and qualities. For the life of me I can't figure what is better. What about Syntrax Matrix? I also drink some vegan shakes which are ok and help with the tummy but usually too gritty. Any info out there oh wise ones? I don't want to drink protein shakes just to find out I've been drinking a low quality protein all along.

juvebrad1
on 5/27/16 2:34 pm
VSG on 05/17/16

I like premier protein. 30g protein per serving. Doesn't seem gritty and there are also pre-made shakes. Hope this helps!

Kathleen14
on 5/27/16 3:40 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Thank you. I like the flavor but the whey in it makes my stomach twirl. Sad too because it's such a good price!

rocky513
on 5/27/16 3:19 pm - WI

Whey Isolate is the most easily absorbed.  Try to find one that is 100% whey isolate.  If the protein powder contains whey concentrate, it contains lactose.  Mix your shakes with water, almond milk, soy milk, or (my favorite) cashew milk.  I am lactose intolerant but have no issues with cheese and Greek yogurt (which is a really good source of protein and easy to eat).

You can mix the shakes with less protein powder if they are too thick.  The fluid in the shake will count towards your daily goal of at least 64 ounces.  The only problem with this is you will then have to drink an additional shake to make up the difference.

HW 270 SW 236 GW 160 CW 145 (15 pounds below goal!)

VBG Aug. 7, 1986, Revised to RNY Nov. 18, 2010

Kathleen14
on 5/27/16 3:43 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Thank you. I could not tell which was better! And cashew milk sounds wonderful, I usually just use water. Love Greek yogurt and cheese and neither bother me thank goodness. And hey, congratulations on your below goal weight loss! Woo-Hoo!

Sarah M.
on 5/28/16 6:53 am - San Francisco Bay Area, CA
VSG on 01/19/15

Hi,

You're right.  There are lots of different grades of protein and it can get confusing.  There's also a TON of snake oil out there.  I have thrown away so much bogus protein powder.

Here's the site I use now to check protein powders:

https://labdoor.com/rankings/protein

I use the Syntrax Nectar.  It's not thick and milky like some of the other ones.  I also use Chike for my morning breakfast/coffee.  You can order samples of the different flavors from Nashua Nutrition so you don't have to buy a whole gallon drum and risk not liking it. 

Both are also whey protein isolate, which I'm told is better because it's more bioavailable (meaning the body is better at absorbing and using the protein vs. some others that "spike" with amino acids to up the protein count on the label but can't be used by your body.)

Also watch the carbs in protein shakes -- if it's over 10 carbs, it's probably not great according to my nutritional guidelines.  

I hope that helps!  I know it's confusing!!!

VSG 1/19/15 | HW: 262 | SW: 255 | CW: 146 (3/20/16)

Kathleen14
on 5/28/16 7:25 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Extremely helpful! Thank you so much. Just ordered a few tubs of Syntrax after trying a few sample packs. I felt there had to be "snake oil" out there. Too many things seemed too good to be true.

Naomi S.
on 5/28/16 7:09 pm - Southwest Metro, MN
VSG on 06/03/16

If you're lactose intolerant, you might try using Fair Life milk to make your smoothies. It's lactose free and has higher protein and higher calcium than regular milk. Plus it tastes like regular milk, too. I just add a scoop of protein powder, a few ice cubes, and blend it up. 

Good luck!

Kathleen14
on 5/28/16 7:26 pm
VSG on 04/20/16

Thank you. I've never heard of it, a great help!

Most Active